Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Integra Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering what controllers are compatible with MacMAME 0.97. I have a USB Controller from Gemini, it was about $15 from a local retail store. The previous controller I had, a Gravis GamePad Pro., I was able to use with earlier versions of MacMAME, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure this controller with the current version of MacMAME. In earlier versions, I think I remember there being a "configuration" setting. I haven't been able to configure the new controller I have to work with MacMAME 0.97 (actually, after I press the "Tab" key, the arrow scrolls through all of the on-screen settings repeatedly .. I'm not sure why that is happening). If anyone can help with this subject, I would be appreciative. In advance, thank you.

J
J
One tip is, as you're opening each game, you need to move the analog sticks to the 4 corners of each axis to "calibrate" them.

There is history in the postings for this. I've given a feature request post to make this step more obvious again (like it used to be in MacOS9 for the input sprocket.) But, since I'm not a coder, I take what I have and I'm happy for it! smile

Also, in the tab window, there are global settings for navigation controls. You could set those to keyboard characters instead of arrows, joysticks, etc.

Jon

A
A
thanks for the tip, but I cant seem to change the input sprockets on the tab menu, any clues

Alex

J
J
Sorry, I put in too many vague details.

In MacOSX, inputsprockets doesn't exist like it did in OS9. I just pine for the "calibration" window in OS9 input sprockets that let you see what values your device was outputting and clearly buttons were assigned to what. (USB Overdrive for MacOSX will at least confirm button pushes for you, but it won't show axis movement. Please note, I'm pretty sure MacMAME and USB Overdrive don't always play well together, so I usually disable USB Overdrive for MacMAME to make sure I'm not confusing myself.)

OK, to fix the "scrolling when you're in the tab window problem"...
Inside of MacMAME, when you are inside of a game, pull up your tab menu. Go to "input (general)" and reset the UI up, UI down, etc. to only use the up/down/left/right arrows. This will only allow keyboard strokes for using the interface, and you won't get the scroll of doom.

Next issue... Gamepads with true analog controls need to be in the center when they're plugged in.

Next issue after that... Setting a controller direction/direction for a game often takes you holding that button for longer than you think. (Even so, sometimes you just can get it to "take". If that's the case, it seems like the .cfg files get corrupt or something. I find that quitting MacMAME, finding the proper .cfg file (will be zipname.cfg), and deleting it will often help. Definitely in older versions of MAME, this was a necessity.)

Final issue... when you start a new game in MacMAME, you need to recalibrate the analog controls by moving to their farthest axis. I'm still not sure exactly when this happens, but running through all four corners repeatedly through the "OK" sequences and first few seconds the ROM is open seems to work fine for me.

Hope that explained it better...

Jon

Integra Offline OP
OP Offline
Why has simply using a controller become so difficult? I actually went and bought a more expensive controller to use with MacMAME, and I haven't used it since, because of the ordeal required to configure the controller. Why was the previous configuration method changed (it wasn't broken)? It seems that with continual improvements, it shouldn't have been dropped. I wish I could return the controller, but after this length of time, I doubt that it would be possible (or if my reason for return would be good enough). And as far as using it for other games, no. I don't use other games enough to justify purchase of the controller for those games. If any of the developers are listening ... we would like an easy way to configure USB controllers from within MacMAME. Also, any pointers to a listing of compatible USB controllers for MacMAME would be appreciated. In advance, thanks.

I thought it was a little interesting that a relatively new visitor, jonceramame, was the only one to try to answer my question. Thank you, jonceramame.

I think Mac-compatible USB controllers have been named in other threads, so a little judicious searching of the board would probably help you there. Any controllers listed as being Mac OSX compatible _should_ work with MacMAME, but unless that controller has dedicated drivers, it's really down to how HID-compliant it is. I've had a lot of success with the fairly inexpensive Boom N64/PSX converter from Lik Sang and bog-standard Playstation controllers. Logitech and Macally are other brands that seem to have good reputations for working with Macs and MacMAME.

With regard to the config method, it functionally appears to have happened because MAME as a whole moved in that direction (the Windows CLI version is the same). I imagine keeping the gui interface would have been more work than Brad and company wanted to put into it; I for one don't find it that big an issue -- after all if you want per-game configuration tweaks you have to do it from the TAB menu as well. And regards to the functionality and reliability, I find the latest rev to be the best in regards to controller config, and that's why I'm sticking with it despite not being able to play a game a really like, Metro Cross (apparently suffering due to Namco sound chip issues brought up in recent releases).

Sean Aaron
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Integra:
Why was the previous configuration method changed (it wasn't broken)?
The previous config method was cumbersome - you had to not only set up your controller in the MacMAME front-end, but you had to make sure that the arbitrarily-named settings in the front-end also matched the configuration you set inside of MAME itself in the TAB menu. The new setup is much simpler - you just press the joystick/gamepad button in the TAB menu to map it directly.

Quote:
Also, any pointers to a listing of compatible USB controllers for MacMAME would be appreciated.
They should all pretty much work. There is an issue with the auto-calibration info not being saved, which requires you to re-calibrate each time you launch MacMAME, but once you know the "secret" (move any and all analog axes to their extremes), that's no biggie. The Gravis GamePad has a directional pad which is, unfortunately, seen as an analog control by OSX. Still, it works fine in my testing once configured.

If you want the easiest way to configure a gamepad for MacMAME, get Nyko AirFlo EX. It comes with a software configuration control panel where you can set MacMAME's keyboard commands to any button on the gamepad.

For example, you can set the four keys for left control stick to the gamepad's left analog stick and the four keys to the right control stick to the gamepad's right analog stick for Robotron in the software. The configuration can be saved and it'll work for all 2 joystick games like Karate Champ, Assault, etc.

Then everytime you want to play MacMAME, you just have to launch the configuration panel in your Dock first, launch MacMAME and you're all set. If you want to play using the keyboard, you can still do it. But if you want to play 2 joystick games, you just have to launch the game because it'll automatically work with gamepad.

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2005/Week_11/v9y8jxsg/story/nykoairfloex4.jpg
http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2005/Week_11/v9y8jxsg/story/nykoairfloex3.jpg

I've been playing MacMAME for months using this gamepad and I love it. Crazy Climber, Robotron, Battlezone, Karate Champ, Black Widow all work perfectly. I still like to use keyboard to play Kangaroo and others though. This gamepad isn't even that expensive.

You know, I never tried it because this is the only gamepad I use but Nyko does offer the software configuration panel for download on their website. Since most gamepads are similar in general design, I wonder if the configuration panel can be used to set up other gamepads to work in MacMAME. It would be cool if it could. Maybe someone here can try it.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by mystereo:
If you want the easiest way to configure a gamepad for MacMAME, get Nyko AirFlo EX. It comes with a software configuration control panel where you can set MacMAME's keyboard commands to any button on the gamepad.
If you do this, be aware that you lose any benefits of having an analog joystick for those games that actually use analog controls.

That aside, is it really so hard to fire up MacMAME and remap joystick controls? All you have to do is navigate to the control you want to remap, press return, then press the joystick button. This doesn't strike me as particularly more complex than doing it through third-party software, and you still get to use analog controls properly.

C
C
I just tested out RadioShack Playstation to USB Adapter Catalog # 26-304, and plugged in my Playstation controller. Didn't even have to install any drivers or anything. Started up MacMAME and the pad was pretty much configured for basic setup. I did however, have to remap SOME keys for games requiring both anaolog thumbsticks to be used such as Robotron (my favorite). Easy as pie to setup your pref through either front side or in game configuration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 31 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,916
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com