Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Stupid question here, but I don't remember the answer and I can't figure it out on my own:

How do I get MacMAME to use my mouse with games that use analog controls? The Tab menu says there are controls bound to "Mouse 1 X" and "Mouse 1 Y", but MacMAME appears to be ignoring the mouse.

I have a USB trackball that is essentially a mouse and it works just fine in games like centipede. It was just plug and play.

The Time Capsule "A Majestic MacMAME Experience"
Brian,

What game are you trying to use the mouse with? To my knowledge the mouse cannot be used as a substitute for analogue joystick input; only dial input. Otherwise, you shouldn't have an issue unless the dial input game also has left/right directions set to digital input (due to defaults). If that's the case you need to set the left/right input to NONE by selecting the option and then pressing 'esc'.

Let me know if any of that was useful!

Sean Aaron
OP Offline
I'm trying to use it with Puzz Loop, which has "Dial Analog" set to "Mouse 1 X" by default, but the mouse won't do anything in the game.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
On the PC version you'd use the switch "-dial_device mouse" to set up that mapping. Presumably MacMAME has a similar option somewhere?

J
J
Sometimes I have issues when 2 or more devices are mapped to an analog input. (Like a trackpad, mouse, and arrow keys.)

So, I try to make sure I take the arrow keys out, and just use the mouse.

I haven't figured out the behavior that causes it to be bad. So I can't say it's an actual bug.

Also, you might have corrupted your "gamename".cfg file. I'd delete and see if it works w/o any modification when you open MacMAME back up..

Jon

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kendig:
I'm trying to use it with Puzz Loop, which has "Dial Analog" set to "Mouse 1 X" by default, but the mouse won't do anything in the game.
It's not a MacMAME problem. You have to configure PuzzLoop to know which controller type is hooked up. The arcade machine could use either a joystick or knob. The key is - when you start a game, if it shows a joystick in the demo screen, it thinks it's hooked up to a joystick.

To change it, hit TAB and go to dipswitch settings. Turn Service Mode to On, then press and hold F3 until the Test Mode menu shows up.

Use the joystick (arrow keys) to highlight System Configuration. Press Player 1 button A (control key) to select it.

Then move down to where is says Joystick, and change it to Knob.

Hit Data Save (Yes), then Exit to go back to the main Test Mode menu.

Hit TAB and turn off the Service Mode dipswitch, then hold down Player 1 and 2 start buttons to return to the game.

Enjoy!

AtariAge Blog
OP Offline
Terrific - thanks very much, Nathan, that did it!

Silly me for not realizing it was in the NVRAM prefs. How'd you ever think of that?

Well, when the game showed a picture of a joystick on screen, I thought it was kind of odd if it was supposed to be controlled by a spinner.

I thought I'd played PuzzLoop with a spinner a few years ago (not a joystick), so I decided to poke around in the setup menus to see if it was an option. You know, for convert-a-cabinet operators who didn't want to pay for a spinner. Turns out I guessed right. smile

AtariAge Blog

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (MAMEBase, Osso, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,941
Posts117,543
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com