Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
#12782 10/08/05 05:19 AM
2 more cents for everyone...

What he HELL makes anyone believe that Apple is going to just update their machines....

they would have to have been sitting around NOT MAKING A DAMN THING for us to get nothing new....

WHAT THE HELL DID WE GET NEW THIS YEAR? Nothing much....

So of course we're about to get something meaty!

Dave

#12783 10/08/05 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by patmcfar8:
or have you ever thought about teaching? Seems like a natural fit since you already seem entrenched in academia.
I taught for a few years. The problem was that I was also the technician at the same time. As technology began to take over more areas of production, I got buried in work. (We went from three Macs when I started to over 50.) So I just didn't have enough time to do both, and decided to stop teaching. Sometimes I miss it, but being a technician is considerably less stressful.

As for freelance, it's usually not worth what you can earn from it. Taxes kill you, for one thing. Plus it takes a lot of pavement-pounding to find good gigs. Even then, you still have to deal with clients. Bleah. :dead:

AtariAge Blog
#12784 10/08/05 06:42 AM
OP Offline
Ha! Name me one good career where you don't have to deal with clients and taxes! wink

Heck, I make a pretty good living as a graphic artist and I still have a nice freelance income on the side. I don't actively sell myself, but once I built up some clientele and got my work out there, the jobs tend to come in without much effort... and I must say that you are a far more talented artist than I am. smile OK, I'll stop now that I realize I sound like some ones mom... jeesh, how did that happen. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, you all should check out some of Nathan's entries in the label contests over at Atari Age. It's some good stuff.

#12785 10/08/05 06:45 AM
OP Offline
OK Dave, so I'm getting the idea that you think Apple is coming out with something worthy of all the "One More Thing‚Ѣ" hype?

Care to share any guesses with us?

#12786 10/08/05 07:18 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The Mactels. Early :-)

#12787 10/08/05 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:

The G4 iMac just wasn't a very practical design. It looked interesting, but I think it was just an interim design that Apple used until they could get the current configuration working
Absolutely right. Not to mention the poor 'ergonomy' inside. Have you ever try to expand the ram or add an airport card on the lamp iMac? Ask it to Will. On this side the G5 is simply amazing, even a child could do this operation. The only misbehave, on my iMac, regards the bluetooth. When you stop the machine the connection is lost and you have to switch off-switch on the mouse. This is quite strange, since the stop status leaves the cpu awake, freezin' the HD only. Have you the same problem?

#12788 10/08/05 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
The Mactels. Early :-)
That'd be pretty early. I wouldn't expect to see those even pre-announced until January at the earliest. (For a March release.) My faulty memory seems to recall that the chips Apple wants from Intel aren't due to ship until next year.

But, I think new iBooks may be in order. Someone I know at Apple (yes... a real person this time) mentioned during the Summer that the new iBook enclosures were "stunning". Although, he couldn't back it up with specifics (that whole "getting fired" thing). He expected them to be released when the last speed-bump happened, so the new design is well overdue.

Whether or not it has an Intel chip in it though... I don't think that'll happen until '06.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefano:
When you stop the machine the connection is lost and you have to switch off-switch on the mouse. This is quite strange, since the stop status leaves the cpu awake, freezin' the HD only. Have you the same problem?
I don't have a Bluetooth mouse, precisely for this reason. I've had it happen with G5 towers and iMacs. I don't think they've got all of the bugs out of their Bluetooth implementation yet.

AtariAge Blog
#12789 10/09/05 03:20 PM
Quote:
Have you ever try to expand the ram or add an airport card on the lamp iMac?
I even changed the hard disc on my iLamp. I had to completely disassemble it (it is located on the top). I had to apply thermal paste (something I never had done before), and I had to do it twice, because I forgot the first time to reconnect the power supply to the optical drive. smile

Although disc space is once again running out (thanks in no unsignificant part to MacMAME smile ), I won't do it thrice...

As for the special event, I only expect slight updates to most of Apple's products. I don't think the new enclosure will debut until the processor change for maximum impact, but that won't happen before another 6 months at least.

#12790 10/09/05 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon:
As for the special event, I only expect slight updates to most of Apple's products.
Careful... lest you incur the wrath of MAMEDave! wink

AtariAge Blog
#12791 10/09/05 11:48 PM
Anyone want to take bets? I'll put $10 to any takers who believe that we're ONLY going to get updates to current machines... What I'm talking about is there will need to be a NEW PRODUCT such as the video ipod, or a much larger screen, or a NEW model of computer... If they enhance only hardware with faster processors, more memory, faster DVD drives... you win... NEW PRODUCTS... I win...

Any takers?

MAMEDave

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Duke, Richard Bannister), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,913
Posts117,077
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com