Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Just installed a new spinner (SlikStik Tornado) in my cabinet. My friend has been itching to play some Arkanoid R.O.D. and he remembers more sensitivity in the dial (or is it called a paddle?). We went into the game's analog settings and cranked everything up to it's max (255). This includes "Digital Speed", "Autocenter Speed", and "Dial Sensitivity". (What does it all mean?)

He recalls being able to move the paddle across the screen in one revolution (more or less). Even at it's current max setting it takes more than 4 revs.

I just had a thought... I probably could adjust my computer's mouse settings, but, as I recall... they're up pretty hight too. Any thoughts?

The Time Capsule "A Majestic MacMAME Experience"
OP Offline
Well, I checked my "Mouse Settings" in OS 10.4 and it wasn't as high as I thought so I went ahead and maxed it out. This did seem to affect it's action in the game (making it faster).

However, my friend is still complaining about an "off" feeling from the real arcade game. I noticed that when "testing" the spinner outside of MAME, the arrow distance is affected by the speed in which the spinner/mouse spins not just distance or revolutions. Could this be causing Arkanoid to have an unnatural feel. Is there anyway to turn this "off".

If some Arkanoid pros out there could share with me their mouse/spinner settings in and outside of MacMAME it would be a great help! I'd love to help my boy out in reconnecting him with a bit of his own gaming nostalgia (he was so excited to know that I got a spinner... I'd hate for it to be a buzzkill for him).

I've found my slikstik tornado doesn't like OSX for some reason, much slower and sluggish, but it works awesome under OS 9.2.2

I only did the Donkey Kong 'cause I had Pac Man Fever.
U might want to check-out a utility called USB Overdrive...

-PongHit

OP Offline
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I have to leave for work soon and won't have time to experiment. In the meantime, do you have any setting suggestion for USB Overdrive and Arkanoid R.O.D.?

I'm still wondering what all the analog options mean under MacMAME mean. Namely "Digital Dial Speed" and "Autocenter Speed".

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Both of those settings are for using a keyboard to emulate a dial. One controls how far each keypress moves the dial, the other how fast it returns to the center when you aren't pressing anything (which only applies to emulating steering wheels and analog joysticks I think). The one you want is "Analog sensitivity" - I have it at around 400% for good Tempest and Arkanoid on my SlikStik spinner.

OP Offline
Interesting. I've only been able to go as high as 255 on the sensitivity settings (using arrow keys). Is there a way to enter a value numerically in order to get it to 400? I'm using the "latest" version of MacMAME.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Odd. Maybe the latest official MacMame predates Aaron's input rewrite.

OP Offline
I installed USB Overdrive and that did the trick! Got a bit lucky though... I still had to have the analog setting at its highest (255) in MacMAME and USB Overdrive set at it's fastest setting (80 dpi). I also turned of the "acceleration" which was one of the issues I was facing. What a great app! I only wish it was able to swich X/Y mouse direction (or can it?)

This give's about 130 degree's of "action" to the paddle. In other word's it take's about 130 degrees of rotation to move the paddle from one end of the screen to the other. According to my friend, this feels the most accurate to the actual game (He's VERY happy now!). Short of finding a designated Arkanoid R.O.D. machine and testing it, is there any way to find out the specs for paddle movement?

Also,I'm still unclear how Belmont got his analog setting to 400. Is he running an unoffical new release? What is "Aaron's rewrite"?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Somewhere in the last 6 months Aaron completely rewrote how inputs work in MAME. One of the side effects is that the adjustments are different and have different ranges. I think if you find arek's last Xcode build it's new enough to have the new stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Reznor007, 1 invisible), 34 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,654
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com