Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14448 03/26/06 05:51 AM
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
Hmm, based on what I've heard from those who have, er, gone the distance with it, that might even be considered a fringe benefit. Unless, of course, you were trying to port a project that required it.
Yeah, I thought so too. Originally, they banned all of Westlake for my criticism, but Glenda talked them down to banning just me -- for whatever good that would do. ;-)

Looking back, we would have been a lot better off had we been forced to work around it. We wouldn't have had to wait for a still-missing Mach-O version, wouldn't have to write CFM shim code, wouldn't have to put up with random multiprocessor crashes for over a year and we would have years ago written a replacement - which we're only now doing because the Intel transition caught them flat-footed.

Their original plan, when asked about a Mac Intel version, was to wrap their Win32 library in a WINE wrapper and use that on the Mac (never mind that OSX WINE would need a CoreAudio component written for this to work). I wish I were making this up.

#14449 03/26/06 06:03 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Well, I know at least some games went through Westlake without you touching them, so it must've done something ;-)

That plan is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard of. No wonder OpenAL is starting to take off. Someone should write a [censored] Escape Kit that implements their API in terms of OpenAL or SDL_Mixer or BASS or (insert your favorite cross-platform audio library here).

#14450 03/27/06 01:15 AM
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
Well, I know at least some games went through Westlake without you touching them, so it must've done something ;-)
Hehe, true. Actually I was implying that it made no sense to ban one person at a company from using a third-party library. Really, it's mostly a drop-in, so what were we going to do, have some guy spend 15 seconds adding it to the project instead of me? And how would they police it?

At any rate, and tied to the original OT - Alice used the non-metric sound library on the PC. When I did the original port to Mac, they didn't have any plans for a Mac version so I had to rework it to use the Q3 sound engine (which didn't turn out too bad).

#14451 03/28/06 03:33 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:

At any rate, and tied to the original OT - Alice used the non-metric sound library on the PC. When I did the original port to Mac, they didn't have any plans for a Mac version so I had to rework it to use the Q3 sound engine (which didn't turn out too bad).
Except that the Q3 sound engine makes for regular trips to "Audio MIDI Setup" to force the audio to 44.1 KHz. Alice actually is somewhat better behaved than Q3 on this front, perhaps due to there being multiple options for driving the sound (I use Miles).

Before the sun sets and the moon rises, transforming me in a flash to MacGameTron, I do some video editing. My speakers are driven by an M-Audio Firewire Solo, usually set to a minimum of 48 KHz, often 96.

This is a far more global problem, however, using semipro audio gear on a rig that also does gaming. Avid owns M-Audio, so I don't expect any solutions on that front. C'est la guerre!
:what:

PS- just got my replacement box of Alice! Thanks again for the referral to GoGamer, guys. Looking forward to toying with 1.1.1!!!

#14452 03/28/06 05:33 AM
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burns:
Alice actually is somewhat better behaved than Q3 on this front, perhaps due to there being multiple options for driving the sound (I use Miles).
All the Mac Alice sound options do the same thing - use the Q3 sound engine. The Cocoa Q3 implementation apparently has bugs in their CoreAudio code. All of Aspyr's Q3 ports avoid that mess.

#14453 03/28/06 09:59 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
All the Mac Alice sound options do the same thing - use the Q3 sound engine. The Cocoa Q3 implementation apparently has bugs in their CoreAudio code. All of Aspyr's Q3 ports avoid that mess.
With 1.1.1 all is golden with the sound. The game is tolerant of settings up to 48KHz 24 bit in Audio MIDI Setup; beyond that the music is fine but the SFX drop out. My system can get away with a low
Code:
 seta s_mixahead "0.1"

YMMV.

Alice with 1920x1200 resolution is glorious!! Here's my cvar list for those who are interested:

Code:

seta s_mixahead "0.1"
seta r_customheight "1200"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_colorbits "32"
seta r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "1"
seta r_detailtextures "1"
seta sensitivity "5.000000"
seta s_milesdriver "miles"
seta r_texturebits "32"
seta r_gamma "1.162602"
seta r_lastValidRenderer "ATI Radeon X800 XT OpenGL Engine"
seta s_khz "44"
seta s_loadas8bit "0"
seta r_picmip "1"
seta ui_crosshair "0"
seta ui_jumpreticle "0"
seta s_volume "0.333333"
seta s_musicvolume "0.500000"
seta ui_subtitles "0"
seta ui_console "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta name "BenaDeath"
seta cl_run "1"
seta cg_cameradist "76.000000"
I'm unfortunately unable to bring up the console (the checkbox in "options" seems to have no effect), so the 1.1.1 features like FSAA and anisotropic filtering I had to do manually to the .cfg.
The only other bugs doubtless come from EA's failure to predict that there would be non-4x3 configurations; the "full" levels on health and energy don't reach the top, and the camera that appears on save is stepped on by the health meter, and both meters run off the edge a bit.
This is practically a whole new game with these features and performance! I only wish there had been higher-res textures done at the time. :pac:

Just to avoid protests related to performance here's my hardware:

2.0GHz dual G5 (970fx) 3 GB RAM ATi X800 (Retail) 23" Cinema Display (ADC). Mac OS X v 10.4.5

Revised to current status :-|

#14454 03/28/06 10:33 AM
OP Offline
Additionally, if I tap my old saves, I get a crash. I'll have to earn my way there.

I've noticed that if I quit via command-Q, I get an unexpected quit error (in 10.4.5); I'm guessing it's either a UNIX command or otherwise fails to announce its imminent demise.

#14455 03/28/06 10:37 AM
OP Offline
ERROR
STERILIZE!!

#14456 03/28/06 05:00 PM
M
M
Can anyone confirm if / how this runs on a 20" Intel iMac?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (Praxis, Golden Child, Duke, 2 invisible), 26 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,957
Posts117,736
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com