Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
OP Offline
T
I understand that a universal binary version of MacMAME will be a long time coming (if ever), but it's time to upgrade the computer in my arcade and I want to put in a Mac Mini. Does MacMAME perform reasonably well under Rosetta or should I find a PowerPC Mini on clearance somewhere, instead?

--Tom
S
S
Other inquiring minds want to know as well. smile

I am running MacMame under rosetta and I think it works just as good if not better than my old G4. Metal Slug 1, X, 2 and 3 run perfect if that helps at all.

GP2X, your portable emulation fix.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
NeoGeo hardware isn't the most demanding thing to emulate. How does it go with something a bit more demanding? Say Taito F3 or Konami GX?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah. Fans of those games get wound up when I bring this up, but the Neo Geo was underpowered the day it shipped (1988), and keeping it going for another 15+ years didn't help it any. It's a Genesis with a few more MHz and a few more colors. Get over it smile

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
380 sprites compared to 80, and 4096 colours on-screen compared to 64 is a pretty significant difference if you ask me. NeoGeo also had sprite scaling, etc. which the MegaDrive didn't get unless you added the MegaCD module.

But in the end, it's the quality of software that makes a system. The Sega Naomi is definitely far more powerful than the NeoGeo, but KoF 2000 was a far better game than Capcom vs SNK 2. The NeoGeo was kept alive by emphasis on gameplay over flashy graphics.

(Yes, I know there are plenty of lousy NeoGeo games, like The Irritating Maze, Pulstar, Gururin and most of the post-bankruptcy continuations of SNK franchises made by the likes of Eolith and Playmore.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vas Crabb:
NeoGeo hardware isn't the most demanding thing to emulate. How does it go with something a bit more demanding? Say Taito F3 or Konami GX?
I'd like to know about CHD games eek
They are not playable on G3 or G4, but they are on high-end G5

One good test would be to test a CHD game on an Intel mac, then test it on Windoze using boot camp on the same Mac to see the difference.

Merry *XMas* (even Santa Klaus has dropped Classic support ...)
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Depends which CHD game. Something like Wedding Rhapsody is playable of a G4 (Konami GV), while something like NFL Blitz is unplayable on anything (Midway Seattle hardware).

Things that use MIPS CPUs (Killer Instinct, etc.) will go way faster on Windows because they use a dynamic recompilation emulation core on native x86 builds. Hopefully a future version of MacMAME will use this, too.

M
M
I think (to get back to the original question) that it makes little sense to get a G4 mini when you can get an intel one and use boot camp if the performance of macmame is really that woeful. Unless of course you can find a G4 mini at a really knocked down price. From what i see though, nobodies really knocking anything very much off the price of PPC based hardware still. I guess they'll have to in the end though.

For me it's not that bad, but then again, i don't think i've ever fired up anything other than old classics. Perhaps i'll go try something on Taito F3 now before i start work.

Are we still really at the "long time coming, if ever" stage though? That's dissapointing news for all us early adopters if we are.

I know when i tried to compile up a universal binary a month or more ago there was only a couple of libraries stopping it from linking, and Brad said that he was in the process of engineering one of those out anyway (libhud or something).

Of course, "compiling" and "working" are two very different things, but the compiling stage would at least be a major step in the right direction smile

M
M
Well, basically, on Bubble Memories, i don't notice any slowdown at all. Forgot to look to see if there was any frame skipping going on but the speed barely dips below 100%.

On Arkanoid Returns there's a little frameskipping happening and you get the occasional very slight jitter. Not perfect but easily playable as far as i'm concerned.

So you can compare, i have the 20" 2Ghz iMac Core Duo with 2GB ram and the 256MB graphics upgrade.

Hope that gives you a little more to go on!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,231
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020