Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the repiles guys.
I've only had KI a few days, so was desperate to play it. I just assumed it would work on MacMAME as everything seems to work great.
It's a` shame that there hasn't been any optimisation for the PPC, but I guess if it was coming, it would have been here by now.
It's good to hear about the Intel Macs benefitting from the Windows tweeks - I very much look forward to that.
I use my Quad for Music production & a little Video Editing & it's great - so I'm going to be on the PPC flatform for at least another 12 months. To relax in betweeen projects I launch MacMAME & pound my keys to do combo moves. I guess I'm gonna be stuck on Street Fighter & Mortal Combat for a little while longer.
Thanks again for the responses.
JazzyGB1

J
OP Offline
J
Just a little update.
I tried running KI on Virtual PC7.02 (PC emulator) on my Quad G5 with the latest version of MAME.
Unfortunately it's still too slow to play, but surprisingly it's a lot quicker than running it natively on my Mac using MacMAME. An emulator running on an emulator quicker - go figure that one out??
Anyway, that's it now - I'm admitting defeat. I'll just have to wait I suppose(sigh).

Z
Z
I feel your pain Jazzy

MacMame was beautiful back on OS9. All my favorite games ran great. OSX apparently makes good emulation on the Mac impossible. Now I can't even run *Paperboy* without real choppiness on my 1.33 G4 Powerbook. I just don't get it...waaaahhh...

zaxter

4096 colors? On-screen at once?!
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Zax: no, it's just with the explosion in PC GHz MAME's core has been reworked many times to present better emulation, at the cost of more cycles. The effect is especially jarring on the Mac since MacMAME's historically updated maybe twice a year - you don't see the smooth slowdown PC users do, just sudden jumps :-)

The Intel processor switch means Macs will finally be able to keep up, and if you jump on a Mac Pro early (the upcoming desktops) you'll actually be faster than a majority of current PCs when a universal MacMAME (or a frontend for SDLMAME) shows up.

M
M
Who needs a front end!!! smile

SDL Mame is stunning on my iMac, so cheers for that!!!

Actually i keep meaning to have a crack at a front end but i know other people with get there long before i even get to open an IDE smile

Z
Z
Hey R. Belmont

Thanks for the info, it clears things up. Also, I've found dipping into older versions really helps. .77 runs really great on this laptop, and when I go and delete config files and preferences for MacMame, I get .96 to run Power Drift pretty well, which is a MUST HAVE for me. Can't figure out why prefs and configs get corrupt---once I try a game that doesn't run too well, like say, "AB Cop" then the rest of my games slow down to slideshows until I remove these files....ah well, I'm happy now. What's so wrong with me that I just love seeing all those chunky sprites scaling away, huh? smile

4096 colors? On-screen at once?!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Praxis), 38 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,957
Posts117,736
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com