Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15024 07/28/06 08:44 PM
Z
Zaxter Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hey Y'all

Having so much fun playing MacMame on my new laptop. Every time I use it I feel appreciation for all the hard work that has gone in to it. The 80's flashbacks are filled with great memories of old friends and going to arcades to send a whole 2 dollars.

But I'm not exactly using the last MAME release due to various preferences of mine. I was just wondering....why do rom sets have to change? Why can't they just stay the same? Wouldn't it be far easier and less confusing? I love Mame, but it gets harder to use and configure for the average user with each new release. Once I ordered my .36 discs I figured I'd be set for life. After all, DigDug hasn't changed right? Why would the ROMS?

Just wondering...not trying to diss

zaxter

4096 colors? On-screen at once?!
#15025 07/28/06 09:23 PM
Read the Mame FAQ

#15026 07/28/06 09:25 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The MAME FAQ covers this fine .

The upshot is that 0.106 emulates the classics far more exactly than 0.36 ever could have, so we need more data from the original machine than was available at the time.

And it's not like it's hard to find valid new ROMs to download - if you use Google and haven't hit some within 30 seconds you honestly aren't trying smile

#15027 07/29/06 09:12 AM
Z
Zaxter Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for pointing out the FAQ. I know I should have just read it. Just trying to make conversation really. Like WHY should people care so much if the emulation is so very accurate or not. If it walks like a duck, ya know...then hey, history is preserved don't you think? I'm REALLY gonna throw my hat in the ring and ask if anyone here has read this or not:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/mameover.htm

I don't really know who this Stuart is, but I have to agree with him on some points. The users do seems to be held in contempt, honestly. frown

zaxter

ok flame away smile I'm dying to hear rebuttals!

4096 colors? On-screen at once?!
#15028 07/29/06 10:30 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Well, yes. If you need to feel loved by a computer program and it's creators, MAMEdev can't help you. MAME is not Dr. Phil :pac:

Anyway, last August this guy posted that and then tried to argue it on the mame.net boards for a while but pretty much nobody defended him and it all got old in a hurry. And Haze wrote a very good response .

#15029 07/29/06 09:52 PM
This reminds me a bit a comment from a lawyer that said "Why computers have to change so much, seems to me all they want is to make me buy a new one every five years or so". Well, PC companies DO want your money, but halting advances in speed, size, easy of use, etc. is plain egoistical. In the end, you do not have to change anything if you are "comfy", but you can't be comfy AND have the latest gadgets, it is like having tea and no tea at the same time.

#15030 07/29/06 11:02 PM
V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by Zaxter:
Thanks for pointing out the FAQ. I know I should have just read it. Just trying to make conversation really. Like WHY should people care so much if the emulation is so very accurate or not. If it walks like a duck, ya know...then hey, history is preserved don't you think?
MAME is a hardware documentation project that just happens to play games. When you're documenting hardware, accuracy is the main priority, everything else is secondary.

You may not like it, but it's the only way to truly preserve history. There *will* be a day in the future where the original boards for these games will not work anymore. MAME may very well be the only way emulate this hardware then. And it may be the only way to resurect dying boards.

"Good enough" is not something most emulation authors strive for. Especailly not when you have technology that has a finite shelf life. The standards set are a bit higher than that.

#15031 07/30/06 01:08 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
In the last 2 years or so everything from Galaga's starfield to the music in Rally-X has been made "more perfect". The changes may not always be noticable (people surely *did* notice when the Robotron slowdown on the later levels was duplicated correctly!) but sometimes it's just nice to know you're having an even closer version of the experience you did as a kid, minus the bad fashions ;-)

#15032 07/30/06 01:50 AM
I admire the MAME developers' effort to push accuracy over features.

But, occasionally, I wouldn't mind some extra features. Like a few months ago, I posted to the MAME boards requesting that there be a way to show the controls up on the screen while a game is being emulated - so that people who have no idea what they're doing can see what keys to press for 'insert coin', '1P start', 'fire', 'jump', etc.

I was promptly dogpiled by the 'MAME is an emulator, not a games machine' crowd. One person even told me that if I want something like that, I should start my own emulation project.

#15033 07/30/06 02:05 AM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Brian: you have to understand, the ideological purity of MAME is widely believed to be exactly why it still exists while all the others have fallen by the wayside. MAMEdev has repeatedly encouraged people to use RAINE instead (which is far more user friendly) but people refused and it's dead.

Furthermore, there are separate projects to handle that - look up "controls.dat" and the Windows programs "CPViewer" and "Johnny 5".

J5 in particular is quite nifty: see a few screenshots here . You can program it to know your cabinet's buttons and it'll auto-label them for any game it knows about.

Obviously that doesn't directly help you, but a lot of frontends implement that support now too on the Windows side so if MacMAME ever gets split in 2 that would be an ideal feature to add.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (MrBogi, ssj, 1 invisible), 20 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,960
Posts117,760
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com