Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

There's a bit of a glitch in the XCode project of MacMame. What happens is that Mac OS X can have two different file systems: a case-sensitive one, and a case-insensitive one.

Since I assume whoever made the XCode project file has the case-INsensitive filesystem, the XCode project contains references to source files that are called, say, "I86.c", which of course refers to the source file "i86.c". In the case-insensitive filesystem the two names are the same, but not so in the case-sensitive filesystem.

Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by aPinecone:
Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.
The other solution is to tell people to not use abominations of nature like case-sensitive filesystems. wink

A
OP Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
Quote:
[b]Of course, to fix this one just needs to rename the source file references in the XCode project, but I thought I'd bring this up since it would save some hassle to the would-be contributor.
The other solution is to tell people to not use abominations of nature like case-sensitive filesystems. wink [/b]
Eh? I hope you're joking =) Most file systems out there are case-sensitive, and it's not a big stretch to update the xcodeproj to cater to that.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
In a Mac context, that's very definitely *not* a "most". It's been case-preserving but not -sensitive since at least the original HFS.

T
T
Even as far back as MFS. smile

--
tim "who needs real folders, anyway" lindner
tlindner@macmess.org

tim lindner
tlindner@macmess.org
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Eh? I hope you're joking =) Most file systems out there are case-sensitive...
I'm dead serious. Most filesystems are not case-sensitive. NTFS and FAT32, for example, are not by default - same with the common Mac filesystems. (I gather that NTFS actually is, but Win32 is not, but the distinction is not important.) Do not confuse case-sensitive with case-preserving.

As far as I can tell, the only people who use case-sensitive filesystems appear to be Linux/Unix developers who don't know any better and think it's a grand idea to have files like ReadMe.txt and Readme.txt in the same location. ;-)

Edit: I should add, in the interest of fairness, that I'm not at all opposed to case-sensitive fixes to the Xcode projects. I will not be hunting down these bugs myself, however, and I make no promises that the Xcode projects will remain case-sensitive safe.

A
OP Offline
A
Brad, I'm not out here to convince you about the greatness/crappiness of case-sensitive filesystems.

Bottom line is that having the xcodeproj not case-sensitive safe means that there's more hassle for someone using a case-sensitive filesystem when trying to contribute to the project. Make whatever conclusions you want.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Olivier Galibert), 42 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,882
Posts116,799
Members4,962
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com