Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15207 08/26/06 02:55 AM
S
OP Offline
S
How do you map out buttons for your controllers on the newer versions of Macmame that have no options for configuring your controller? Also for the life of me I can't get my controller to work right w/ v.87b any help would be nice thank you.

#15208 08/26/06 02:24 PM
S
S
Hello

First start a game, then press tab to bring up the menu.
Now using the arrow keys and enter navigate to 'input (general)' and 'input (this game)' for player one I assume. Setting up directional control and a few buttons with 'input (general)' should be suitable for most games but if you need to tweak things and make a specific control scheme thats what 'input (this game)' is for.

If you mess up the key inputs and want to clear the setting or want to go back press escape. It takes a few seconds after a button press for it to appear in the box so be patient.

#15209 08/27/06 07:34 AM
S
OP Offline
S
thank you very much but even when I do that, when I press a key to map the button to my controller it gets it all wrong.. such as if it says Player 1 up and I press up on my controller it will register as me pushing up and to the left or right... any suggestiond controller wise? ie... a new controller. With every version of MacMame up to 77u2a I have had no problems at all with configuring 2 controllers both Logitech wingman pads one a wingman action and the other a wingman rumble pad. any other help would be great...

#15210 08/27/06 04:31 PM
N
nf_ Offline
N
hi sam,

Mame can be a bit tricky when it comes to configure your controllers. I often have the same problem while configuring the directional keys for my gamepad. Make sure that you press them as cleanly as possible.

For alternative controllers, I think nothing beats the X-Arcade series. I think of getting one for myself soon.

#15211 08/27/06 04:55 PM
S
S
A forum search may be useful as I recall a few people having issues with Wingman pads in the past. Don't forget to look at the controller review thread pinned at the top of the forum also.

Besides proper arcade controllers, generally the next best thing in terms of build quality, ergonomics and flexibility are console pads. If you happen to have a console it might be worthwhile checking if there is a cheap USB adapter available. Its a pain trying to figure out if a particular adapter works with OS X though, once again the forum search is useful.

And the previous poster is quite correct, you have to make sure you press directly up on generic USB controller d-pads. It may take a few tries but you should eventually get it. I find pressing from the outside edge of the d-pad rather than the centre makes it easier to get the initial clean setting.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (hal3000, Carbon, ksherlock, 1 invisible), 38 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,960
Posts117,772
Members5,001
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com