Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rauser Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Once upon a time on this forum, back when front ends where the hot topic, there was an interesting discussion about an iTunes-style front end for MAME--in which I semi-jokingly suggested that the games would automatically sync with the game player iPod of the future.

Well, today's Apple dog-and-pony show revealed new downloadable games available for late-model iPods, including:

• é─˙Tetris,é─¨ é─˙Mahjongé─¨ and é─˙Mini Golfé─¨ from Electronic Arts Inc.
  • é─˙Pac-Mané─¨ from Namco Networks America Inc. é─˙Cubis 2é─¨ from FreshGames, LLC
  • é─˙Bejeweledé─¨ and é─˙Zumaé─¨ from PopCap Games, Inc.
  • é─˙Texas Holdé─˘emé─¨ and é─˙Vortexé─¨ developed by Apple

Apple is selling these from the iTunes store for $4.99 apiece.

So I guess the real questions is (semi-jokingly again), when will iMAME be available?

N
N
Wow, now that's an idea....iPod Mame for all the old classics....any idea what the processing power is inside an iPod?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Extremely little - the iPodLinux guys indicate it's a 75 MHz ARM, with roughly equivalent performance to a 486/50 (or 68040/40 in Mac terms). It's a little better on the G5/nano, but not by much.

A
A
Hmm... yet, it is enough to decode H.264. Hmm, something must be doing that... wink

Online Content
I just bought Vortex (StarCastle clone) as it seemed the most natural to play with a scroll wheel.

Processing power is plenty available.

Now, I... must... resist... the temptation to download Zuma, too. But I just love this game smile

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
arek: it has a dedicated hardware decoder chip.

Carbon: there is a world of difference between having enough power to run a port that's hand-tuned in ASM and running an emulator.

Online Content
R. Belmont, I know, of course, just wanted to let you know that the game is running great smile

Does anyone know anyone at Electronic Arts, FreshGames, or PopCap that can tell us anything about game developement on the ipod?

Hey Apple, if my Nano can run Doom, why not make it available!?!??! Huh?!

D
D
Probably even if people knew how to get it to work, Apple's not going to release many of the specs publically--it's probably bound by a NDA, so... good luck. Who knows, though--maybe we'll see Apple make something publically available with some type of SDK to encourage developers to sell their media through the iTunes Store. It's a cool idea at least, and it'd be fun to be able to install other games on an iPod... though the buttons would be kinda odd smile

I for one would love Tempest.... or Dragon's Lair...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Olivier Galibert), 42 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,882
Posts116,799
Members4,962
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com