Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
They are promoting a java based emulator that INCLUDES ROMS in their emails (Oh, and they have a .dmg image of MacMAME up on their website...)

http://xgaming.com/arcade-games.shtml

Wow... At what point do they get busted by the GameTap police?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
They have a license for the ROMs, so they're just as legal as GameTap et al.

A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
They have a license for the ROMs, so they're just as legal as GameTap et al.
Really? Where?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
They've been selling that bundle for over a year and not exactly hiding it, so if it's illegal nobody's been paying much attention.

A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
They've been selling that bundle for over a year and not exactly hiding it, so if it's illegal nobody's been paying much attention.
They just include one of the Atari game packs and/or the Midway game packs. I was more curious about the Java emulator.

J
OP Offline
J
Sorry, I didn't realize the Java emulator link wasn't obvious... What I was really getting at wasn't that Xarcade was doing anything illegal, but they were sending people to sites bundling ROMs with emulators, which seems kinda precarious for the MAME enthusiast world that XArcade relies upon. And, are hosting a distribution of MacMAME on their own server (Appears to be 0.97u1) and linking not to macmame.org, but www.emulation.net (which doesn't seem to be up tonight?).

Anyway, here's the link to the Java emulator that doesn't seem to have a license, and has a pretty lame "copyright" excuse on their about page ("the games are too old and obsolete in the sense that there is no market for them anymore")...
http://www.gagaplay.com/jemu2/

(FWIW - The legal xarcade bundling isn't any news to me as I actually won a copy of one of the packs in a contest a year or two ago.)

E
E
Hi, I'm the author of the mentioned java emulator.

The lame copyright excuse is put a bit out of context here, as I'm specifically stating in the same legal notice that I don't own rights to distribute the games and that it is not legal.

It is not my intention to hurt the copyright owners in any way and the same partly quoted sentence also mentions that I would remove any of their games on request which they (legal copyright owners) would object to.

The thing is, I've been trying to get in contact with copyright owners quite some time ago, explaining the situation that I want to turn it into something legal (even sending them the link to my site) and asking what I would have to do to obtain the rights.
The answer: zippo, nothing, nada. Not from anyone.

This is where the lame excuse comes from, they simply don't seem to care, hence:
"However, please be aware that these games are still copyrighted and I don't own the rights to distribute these games. If any legal copyright owner objects to the use of game(s) of which they have copyright, they can contact me and I will rectify the problem ASAP.
Until this happens, GaGaPlay.com believes that the games are too old and obsolete in the sense that there is no market for them anymore, so the use of the games does not really seem to harm anyone."

However, I'm still considering removing illegal emu stuff from the site altogether unless I find a way to do it legally (without trying to dodge copyright laws, which I think is even more lame than just admitting doing something which is strictly speaking illegal).

BTW, you might want to remove the link to my site here if you feel xarcade did something wrong by sending people to my site.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Golden Child, Pernod, 1 invisible), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,835
Posts116,215
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020