Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
MacMAME Author
OP Offline
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Think MacMAME:
Please make it easy for me to pay for your efforts Brad, remember I live in Poland.
What is the best way for me to do that?

I have money in hand and ready to send:) When & Where ?

...Kenny

N
N
I'd like to apologize in advance if I am reiterating points made earlier;but I didn't want to read EVERY post on ALL five pages.
-------------------------------------
Just to chime in with my two cents REALLY, REALLY late, I have been experimenting with different front-ends on my PC recently to see what is available out there on this front.
My impressions so far have been mixed.

One great front-end from a "configuring games per ROM" stand-point is Arcade.exe.
This program allows you to set virtually ALL your settings per game by right-clicking the name of the game in the GUI.
The program edits the config files for each game, allowing you to do per game rotation, alter the resolution for a specific game only, etc...
My only complaints about this one are that it leaves the desktop viewable around the edges unless the screen resolution is set really low, and the fact that you can't create custom skins for it.

The front-end that has most intrigued me in my search, and will be going into my current cab when the new cab for my Mac gets done, is MAMEWAH.
THAT one is absolutely awesome from a GUI configurability standpoint.

Its strongest point is the fact that it includes a "layout designer", which you can use to create your own custom layouts.
You insert your own background graphic, and then overlay it with boxes for screenshots, marquees, game info, etc...
Using this, the front-end truly becomes YOURS.
YOU pick what background you want, and YOU pick what info to display, and where.

It also allows you to create custom game sets automatically by screen orientation, controller type, year, manufacturer, how often you play the game, etc...
You can also edit your own lists, to show only the games YOU want in a list, as well.

Another of its strong points is that it will allow you to run multiple emulators from the single UI, and will even customize the skins/layouts for each emulator.

It is not as robust as Arcade.exe in allowing you to customize individual games, but makes up for that in visual appeal.

The thing I like most about MAMEWAH though, is that it was designed from the ground up to work seemlessly in a cabinet.
The UI on it uses "1" as the enter key, and "2" as the select key.
With the addition of a joystick for navigating menus, everything is accessible--even on a single 4-way joystick w/two start buttons cabinet.
This allows you to create a kiosk effect once the program is running, that will prevent people from "accidentally" messing things up.

THAT is where I would like to see this project go.
The Mac community as a whole has always been about "make it your own".
I would really like to see that idea work its way into this custom front-end idea.

I
I
Talk about bringing a topic back from the dead! Anyway, has there been any thought about bringing this plan to life? I would pay in a heartbeat! Donating to charity is a good cause but I give a lot of stuff to Goodwill to begin with anyway. I would rather have Brad benefit something from this after all these years of dedication.

A
A
I would like to see a front end that will display all the info about a game at once, the mini audit and information about processors etc. all on one page, it may a screen hog though.

Alex
I apoligize in advance if the following points were already discussed, but is there any chance to have an hq2x/hq3x/hq4x implementation in the new version of MacMame ? It would be nice to be able to choose one of these in the new front-end.

By the way, my 10 bucks are ready, I'm just waiting for you Brad ;-) :bubble:

A
A
I'd also like to see the hq#x and other filtering blitters rolled into the standard MacMAME build. Give the CPU something to do wink

I expect to release my Blitter code as a (free) loadable module in a couple of weeks. Anyone who wanted to could then hook that up to MacMAME, though I'm not sure where it'd fit with the OpenGL stuff.

That's a good news !

Thank you Richard, you're the best smile

[/QUOTE]Honestly, I really really like the current OSX icon. I love that it's hi-res and that it blends an old-school Mac with an arcade console. I don't think a more Aqua or OSX-ish icon would be more appropriate for MacMAME.

The front-end is a different beast. It doesn't play games, it essentially organizes them and launches MacMAME. It needs a different icon because it's a different app. In a perfect world, there will be tons of Mac front-ends, and confusion would reign if they all used the same icon as the MacMAME app.

I have two thoughts on the matter. The first is a front-end icon could be visually related to the current app icon, say with a badge on it (like an aqua X or some other more appropriate element) that distinguishes it, but also ties it in to the app icon. The second would be a completely different icon that doesn't share any visual similarity with the existing MacMAME icon.

That's as far as my thinking has gone. Honestly, the icon design is pretty low on my priority list at this time. I still have to decide on if/how I'm going to move forward with this notion of a separate front-end, and if so flesh it out. After most of that is settled, then I'll worry about the icon. smile [/QB][/QUOTE]

Brad. How about enlisting the talented folks at the iconfactory? Ged is the guy for this gig!

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (r09, Dorando, anikom15, 1 invisible), 27 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,836
Posts116,223
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020