Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#20672 02/17/05 02:56 AM
OP Offline
What's the current state of Playstation-USB adapters on the Mac? I'm just curious which ones people have tried and whether they work with the analog sticks on a Playstation 2 controller, or with Dance Dance Revolution pads, or what.

A year or two ago I bought a pair of those translucent adapters with the USB cable coming out of the side, and they didn't work at all with my Mac - the computer didn't even sense them connected.

I just picked up a pair of great big black-and-blue "PSX TO USB" adapters from Radio Shack, but I'm hesitant to cut open the blister packs until I'm sure that they'll work with a Mac... at the very least I'd like to use 'em with MAME, but using them with dance pads to play Stepmania would also be a plus.

OP Offline
Also - are there any apps out there which will let me test what inputs are being received through the adapter?

I'm trying one of my new Radio Shack ones with MacMAME, and it's not working properly - giving me different results whether or not 'Analog' is enabled on the controller (but the wrong results each time). I remember USB controller issues in MacMAME; what version of MacMAME are USB controllers supposed to work properly in?

V
V
I have the $10 Playstation-to-USB adapter that I got from Radio Shack a year or two ago. It works great with MacMAME and I also use it with my PC.

As far as PS2 adapters or using the funky controllers: I have no idea...

Voch

OP Offline
The adapters I bought last year were the same ones Radio Shack were selling, and my Mac didn't see 'em at all - I guess I got a bad batch. My PC was able to see 'em, but the company that sold them to me (Lik-Sang.com) said "we advertised them as being PC-compatible, so we only support them with PCs" and refused to take them back. (Mine were translucent green, model XK-PC2003 - maybe Radio Shack's were a slightly different model?)

I found an app named Joystick And Gamepad Tester which lets me test exactly what values my Playstation 2 controller is giving through the new adapter I'm trying. (The pair I bought from Radio Shack today are these .)

With analog mode turned on, it sees the D-pad as a hatswitch returning 0 thru 7 for the directions north thru northwest (clockwise), and 15 at rest. With analog mode turned off, the D-pad behaves as an analog stick, returning either 0 or 255 in either direction, or 127 at rest. It even sees my Dance Dance Revolution dance pad as an analog stick in the same way! Because it treats left/right as a single control, it's not capable of recognizing the left and right arrows stepped on at the same time. (Same with up and down.) So it looks like this adapter is being stupid - unless there's some app which can remap the controls to something more sensible which MacMAME can handle, I'll take 'em back to the store.

(It occurs to me: how STUPID does an adapter have to be to try to map a D-pad as an analog control, or a hatswitch, instead of as a D-padl?! The adapter knows full well what input was triggered on the controller, and it has its choice of how to report this to the host computer... why would ANY designer in his right mind report it as anything but a D-pad?!)

I really wish Apple would hurry up and port InputSprockets to Mac OS X.

I bought one with my DDR mat from Lik Sang. Works beautifully.

Couldn't tell you the model number (it's 5000 miles from here) but if you're still wondering in two weeks bump the thread and I'll answer then smile

Quote:
I have the $10 Playstation-to-USB adapter that I got from Radio Shack a year or two ago. It works great with MacMAME and I also use it with my PC.
I have those adapters as well. Works beautifully on my MAME PC, never tested it on my G4 mac since I just recently upgraded to OS X.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kendig:
Also - are there any apps out there which will let me test what inputs are being received through the adapter?
There's a bit of sample code on Apple's developer site - search for HID Explorer or HID Utilities and you'll find the sample source code to build the HID Explorer app.

Quote:
I remember USB controller issues in MacMAME; what version of MacMAME are USB controllers supposed to work properly in?
Most everything should be sorted out in the 0.88 beta.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
I really wish Apple would hurry up and port InputSprockets to Mac OS X.
I'm told this will never happen. At this point, I'm OK with that. Most game developers have worked through most of the HID Manager (and oddball USB device) quirks now, so there's not much left to be gained from InputSprocket.

OP Offline
But since every USB HID gamepad is different - treating the D-pad as an analog stick or a hatswitch or buttons or a real D-pad and returning different values for it which can vary in meaning from gamepad to gamepad - doesn't this mean that every app has to be specifically coded to support every gamepad?

The nice thing with InputSprockets was that as long as an app supported it, it supported any device that InputSprockets supported...

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
But since every USB HID gamepad is different - treating the D-pad as an analog stick or a hatswitch or buttons or a real D-pad and returning different values for it which can vary in meaning from gamepad to gamepad - doesn't this mean that every app has to be specifically coded to support every gamepad?
In brief, no. There are some shortcuts you can take so this a lot easier. I had this revelation a while back when I was cleaning up our own DirectInput->HID Manager code in our porting library at work. The results have, to a degree, found their way into MacMAME 0.88.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 15 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,941
Posts117,543
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com