Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Eh?
The Gravis GamePad gets a lot of shoutouts, but personally, I like a heavier controller. I got a couple of Playstation 2... ahem... inspired MacAlly iShock2\'s that should be shipping to me pretty soon.
I'll let you know how they work out.

gdk Offline
The D-pad on the iShock2 is pretty spotty, IMO. The original iShock is preferable. Additionally, I don't believe there are any Mac games that actually use force feedback. But those motors definitely make the controller heavier, if that's what you're after.

C
C
As I've been building up to my MacMAME cab I've been trying quite a few controllers these last 3 years. Here are the pads I use that don't have compatibility problems in OS X.

Logitech Dual Action
Compatibility is not an issue, comfortable to hold, buttons are a bit stiff. D-pad is smooth so my finger slides around on it, but it's OK. Analog sticks have a square cutout so you get hung in the corners as you try to swing it around in circles.

Gravis USB Gamepad Pro
Works great with everything. Quite stiff. No analog. Dependable and cheap. I keep one in my bag with my iBook.

Radio Shack PSX-to-USB adapter (catalog #23-304)
Great compatibility. Supports all buttons on PS1 and PS2 Dual Shocks. Works with neGcon-style steering wheels. Cheap if you already have PS controllers around. It's hard to beat Playstation controllers and with this adapter you have your choice of any of them. The only thing I couldn't get to work was my dance pad. I use a Pelican PS REAL Arcade stick with this at my computer. Two of these are the interface for my cabinet.

Hope this helps. If you're curious about analog sticks/wheels I've tried quite a few of those as well.

This concludes another long-winded post.
*BUMP!*

Quote:
The D-pad on the iShock2 is pretty spotty, IMO.
You know, I should have listened to that.

Okay, so I got the MacAlly iShock 2 , as well as the Logitech Dual Action for my birthday (different givers). As mentioned, the iShock Dpad is a little spotty, but workable. The real problem in here is the analogs, which are worse than useless. Not only don't they work, but they drift when they're still, so you have to tell MacMAME not to recognize tha analog sticks just so your character doesn't keep running to the right. But then, it was from eBay, and it wasn't in the box, so that could be any number of factors.

The Logitech Dual Action, however, though it is lighter than what I like in a controller, works really well. Set up quick, and didn't create any problems. Haven't yet given it it's ultimate test (that would be Robotron), but I was immediately twice as good at Last Blade, so that's certainly something.

Hey, Strum! You want reviews for these things?

The Logitech Dual action actually looks like a nice pad (unlike the Wingman dual rumblepad I have that looks like your typically cheesy PC gamepad) -- how many shoulder buttons come on that?

Sean Aaron
Four. Set up just like the PS2 controllers, where the R2 and L2 buttons are larger than L1 and R1.

See here.

...I wonder exactly how close one could make a controller resembling a PS2 controller without getting sued by Sony...

I think Sony has had problems with getting sued by other people over their PS2 controllers -- US$90.4 million judgement against them and ban on selling PS2s in the States that was put aside pending their appeal...more at www.theregister.co.uk.

That is really cool though. Now I know I can get a decent native USB controller. The Wingman rumblepad ticked me off because it not only lacked a select button, but had only two shoulder buttons (in addition to the wonky D-pad and crap face buttons).

Sean Aaron

Uh... you mind providing a more direct link, I tried every search I can think of and can't seem to find the story.

"ps2 lawsuit", on the other hand, did bring up this , which is way awesome. Apparantly just taking the game off the shelves because "It was crap" isn't a good enough argument, legally speaking.

Also: this .

Try this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/29/sony_immersion_injunction/

Interesting stuff with both Sony and Microsoft on the other end.

The Register is pretty much the only IT-related rag I'll read. The columnists certainly know how to stir it up and there's plenty of amusing barbs throughout.

Sean Aaron
Quote:
Originally posted by Bertrand Lemon:
[b]Hey, Strum! You want reviews for these things? [/b]
If you want to write one, feel free to post it up on the MacMAME Wiki. That's probably the best place for it.

Once Mahuti cleans out the spam, that is.

AtariAge Blog
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dorando), 48 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,231
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020