Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21001 03/05/05 10:02 AM
OP Offline
I've got a G4 Cube, which has two USB ports and no way to add more. And I've apparently got some problems with my USB devices getting enough power, and I can't figure out what I can do about it.

The USB devices I need to connect are:

- my keyboard
- my mouse
- my TView Micro VGA->S-Video adapter, so I can hook the Cube to my TV (it draws power from USB)
- my Griffin iMic USB audio adapter, so I can hook the Cube to my speakers (the Cube has no audio output)
- my new EMS USB Playstation controller adapter

I have a four-port Belkin USB hub, and an eight-port no-name USB hub. Both are powered via a wall plug.

The video adapter and the EMS Playstation adapter both seem to need to be plugged directly into the Cube. If I plug one of them into either of the USB hubs instead, it won't work at all. The eight-port USB hub has a green LED for each port, and when I plug either of these devices into it, the green LED for that port goes out until I cycle power to the hub.

I can't figure this out because a powered USB hub is supposed to be just as good as the USB port on the computer itself, right? Are some hubs better at distributing power than others?

And if I plug both finicky devices directly into the Cube, then of course I can't connect any other USB devices to it.

Am I hosed, should I not be using a Cube for this?

#21002 03/05/05 10:29 AM
i dont think its the cube per se... but i have the same trouble with a g4 tower. i have an eyeTV which does NOT like to be plugged in thru a hub, and a wireless mouse with a USB receiver which causes great erratic behavior if its plugged into the same USB bus as the eyeTV, etc... and after much juggling of cables and trying to figure this out, I ended up replacing my USB hub with a different brand and now it works. I'd suggest trying yet another USB hub, especially if the hubs you've tried are more than a year or 2 old (i think they're making them better now personally)... and if it doesn't fix it you could probably return the hub saying it doesn't work with your setup (check the return policy)

But i can't think of anything specific about the Cube that would make this happen. I love my cube... its sitting on a shelf running my website and hosting my 500gig music and video jukebox for the house!

Magneto phone!? This is not a magneto phone!!
#21003 03/05/05 10:08 PM
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
People have reported problems with Belkin hubs on the Mac OS X Hints forum site a few times. But if it happens with two hubs, that probably isn't the problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 15 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,941
Posts117,543
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com