Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
You sure? I could've sworn the SPC was 44.1, just like it's "son" the PSX SPU (both were designed by Ken Kutaragi).

N
N
It's actually 32khz. Antires scoped it.

http://www.alpha-ii.com/Info/snes-spdif.html

-nZero
L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
From hearing an actual SNES I'm pretty sure, however, I do not have good speakers on my TV. According to my source (google results smile , the SPC is an 8 bit processor, while the SPU is 16 bit, so they at least differ. The SPU also has 24 PCM channels (PCM = same as used on a CD Audio), while the SPC700 has 8 ADPCM channels. Now I don't know what's the difference between ADPCM and PCM, the only thing I know is that the Germans invented the PCM encoding in World War 2, but judging the difference in channels and bits I think both chips are very different.

EDIT: Whoops, nZero just posted before me.
32KHz it is then, but after googling further to confirm it I came across this: " 8-Bit Sony SPC700 sound CPU @ 2.14 Mhz, sound DSP (8 ADPCM channels, 22Khz sampling rate)".
WTF?

L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
The bug of AO 1 that SPC decoded samples get messed up ('deformed') still exists in AO 2. Relaunching AO 2 does solve this issue. If this bug is too much to work on for now, maybe an 'empty cache' routine when opening a new song will keep it hidden. I don't know what really happens however; if the sample gets corrupted in the cache, or most likely, will be decoded corruptly in cache, or, the volume for the sample is wrongly read so it is played back way too loud on the "soft volume" (that's how it sounds). Sorry for the lack of my English to explain this correctly, hopefully you understand what I mean [Smile] .
That very same corruption also happens to the height of tones. Relaunching AO2 gets everything normal again. In fact, the corruption can look like a tone drop/increase. It's exactly the same bug. When the first corruption occurs, it is very likely other (but not all!) songs also have corrupted instruments in playback that are played after that.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I'd trust an oscillocope over random Google results.

Anyway, the chips are more closely related than you'd think from a few stats. They're by the same designer, they use very similar ADPCM formats (not PCM - neither the APU nor the SPU can play uncompressed samples), and they have extremely similar reverb engines.

As most folks know, Sony co-designed the SNES and was going to introduce a CD-ROM addon called the "PlayStation" before Nintendo publically shunned them in favor of Phillips. That add-on of course later spanked Nintendo badly ;-)

L
L66 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
I'd trust an oscillocope over random Google results.

Anyway, the chips are more closely related than you'd think from a few stats. They're by the same designer, they use very similar ADPCM formats (not PCM - neither the APU nor the SPU can play uncompressed samples), and they have extremely similar reverb engines.

As most folks know, Sony co-designed the SNES and was going to introduce a CD-ROM addon called the "PlayStation" before Nintendo publically shunned them in favor of Phillips. That add-on of course later spanked Nintendo badly ;-)
Didn't know that, so thanks to Nintendo dumping Sony we have the PSX and PS2! About that ocilloscope, I already keeped with that 32KHz, but I just wonder how someone got such specs. That SNES9x and other emulators have 32 KHz as default is another sign.

Oh well, just drop that feature request about changing sample rates smile .

L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by L66:
That SNES9x and other emulators have 32 KHz as default is another sign.
It should be noted that for Snes9x 1.39mk3b (and, by extension, 1.39mk3b++) only the 32Khz sample rate sounded right (this is actually quite fun to play around with, totally inaccurate, but still fun). Trying 30Khz or 35Khz only makes small differences, and can make music sound better in places.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
"Run!.spc" requires alternate sample decoding in the SPC core; I've not set up any way to enable this as yet. I'll add that as a preference too. [/QB]
Richard - "Run!.spc" is supposed to have that white noise in the background. AO2 is handling it perfectly.

In the actual game, the building you are in was falling apart.

Online Content
If you listen to it, the white noise eventually overtakes all other sound. At any rate, it'll be an option; there are three available sample decoders, and I'll make it configurable when I get round to it.

Online Content
Quote:
Originally posted by arekkusu:
Christian Scheurer's unrarlib is really really nice, but not adequate for handling "any old RAR" from the web. The official RAR code by comparison is an absolute travesty; it took me forever to configure it to build on X and work with unicode filenames etc. Grrrrrr > frown
Well, I decided to implement a hack in the next version. I use unrarlib for listing and decompression if possible, though if decompression fails I call the command line unrar to extract the file. It's a really dumb solution, but hey, it works -- and I can put a copy of unrar in the Application Package on OS X so it doesn't get in the way smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  R. Belmont, Richard Bannister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,231
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020