Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Rez: AFAIK the AC3 section was a fixed-function backend so I doubt the chip registers would say much about it.

Beyond that it's hard to undersell just how far beyond anything else that chip is. Each of the 256 hardware voices had it's own parametric EQ along with the more normal pitch/volume/panning controls, and you could do submixing (route a group of voices through another voice to apply one EQ at once) and stuff like that too. The problem was that all that capability broke DirectSound's programming model really badly (to be fair, anything more powerful than an AWE32 does that) so even on the Xbox you couldn't get at all the power.

OP Offline
Digidrum support is probably in the YM format, which isn't supported right now.

V
V
I see you guys have said a hundred time that USF isn't happening but you never state why, at least not that I have seen. I am an avid VG music collector, and thanks to Audio Overload I have a flourishing collection except N64 music. The majority of N64 music that I find is MiniUSF and I have no means to play it. Why will this never be implemented?

Otherwise, do you guys know of a way for me to read MiniUSF without Audio overload? Or where I can get a different format of N64 game music?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
USF/MiniUSF is playable on Windows XP using Winamp with the "64th Note" plugin (www.halleyscometsoftware.com). If you're using another platform, you're currently out of luck. 64th Note is based heavily on the "Project 64" emulator, and Project 64 is coded in a style that is, to put it mildly, hostile to portability. I could teach an entire semester on how not to write C/C++ code just with that source. (No insult to the coders is intended - they appear to be far too young to have practical experience with multiple platforms, much less proper CS training at a university level).

In other words, portable USF playing will require first writing an entire new N64 emulator. I'll probably take a swing at it eventually if nobody else does but it's not a high priority at the moment.

V
V
Hmm what a pain in the ass!

There are already N64 emulator called Sixty Force? If I am not mistaken. I don't know if that even helps.

I suppose I could go get this 64th note and do all the ripping on a PC and then convert them to WAV or something and then transfer them to mac... What a hassle thoug.

S
S
R. Bannister, you've probably been asked this before, but are you planning on adding a Year field to the SNES portion of the player? You've got Name, Game, Dumper, Comment, and Author, but no Year. Just seems like another field that could be nice information to have. smile

OP Offline
I can only display the information in the SPC header...

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The "extended ID666" tags support that stuff. I can take a look.

ETA: That wasn't so bad. Look here .

T
T
http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/

Stsound engine is open source and supports the ym2149 soundchip with digidrums perfectly. This is because he invented the YM file format. But only recently did he make it open source

On the site, there is also a cool GBA "DEMO" including a great selection of atari game music and a few amiga tunes too.

the times they are a changin
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
That's funny - we used to use a very old version of STsound for the .sndh support, but removed it because it has no SID or digidrums support. I see he's added all that now though.

ETA: Alright, that dropped in about as smoothly as anything has, and yes YM files sound a lot better than before. Richard will have to talk to the author about the GPL though - if we can't get an exemption it'll need to wait for AO3.

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  R. Belmont, Richard Bannister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (belegdol, 2 invisible), 52 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,879
Posts116,763
Members4,957
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com