Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
I downloaded 2 roms in zip format and stuck them in the right folder, they both load and report missing files. Also no menu to select games? or instructions.

The two roms were downloaded from romnation.

To test I tried tempest version 3 and metalslug3.

What version of mame is this based on?

Still looks like it is in Alpha state frown

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The ROMs you got were incomplete. This is not MAME OS X's fault, although you probably forgot that Neo Geo games also need their BIOS (neogeo.zip). Also, naming specific ROM sites will get you banned in a very large hurry.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 02/15/07 05:42 AM.
D
D
As to what version is it based on: MAME OS X version 0.111-1 is based on mainline version 0.111. The "-1" means it's the second MAME OS X version based on 0.111 (the first version is just 0.111). I've always used the mainline version as the first part of the MAME OS X version so that it's clear which version it's based off of. But this question keeps coming up, so apparently it's not that clear. Any suggestions on how to make this more clear are welcome.

-Dave

Online Content
I'd be inclined to tie your releases into whatever the current update is at the time - so your version number matches the PC exactly. If that's easy to do of course.

MAME OS X also will not feed your dog, clean your house, or do your homework. Clearly Alpha . . .

You're lucky that Belmont, Bannister, and Dribin are so generous with their time. Most people wouldn't waste the energy to respond to your drivel.

Originally Posted By Hoop2004
I downloaded 2 roms in zip format and stuck them in the right folder, they both load and report missing files. Also no menu to select games? or instructions.

The two roms were downloaded from romnation.

To test I tried tempest version 3 and metalslug3.

What version of mame is this based on?

Still looks like it is in Alpha state frown

S
S
Hey now, stop trying to be elitist. I have that same problem too and apparently most of my ROMs went bad. If it was just a few ROMs, I would think that I would have to get updated ROMs. I've thrown at least a dozen different ROMs at it and it won't load due to "missing ROMs". I know I'm missing something but I don't what problem is. MAME OS X isn't exactly user friendly like MacMAME.

Last edited by Satanic Hamster; 02/19/07 05:55 AM.
If MAME OSX isn't giving you the information you want, why not try MacMAME instead? It should at least which roms are missing. Obviously it's still possible that the ROM requirements have changed since the last iteration of MacMAME, but it would be a start.

Simon

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MacMAME is too far out of date - it's ROM info is useless.

D
D
Originally Posted By Richard Bannister
I'd be inclined to tie your releases into whatever the current update is at the time - so your version number matches the PC exactly. If that's easy to do of course.

I try to do that. But sometimes I'll want to do an intermediate release, in which case I tack on extra "-#", instead of waiting for the next mainline version. This is similar to how Linux RPMs differentiate intermediate releases of the same version.

-Dave

D
D
Originally Posted By Satanic Hamster
Hey now, stop trying to be elitist. I have that same problem too and apparently most of my ROMs went bad. If it was just a few ROMs, I would think that I would have to get updated ROMs. I've thrown at least a dozen different ROMs at it and it won't load due to "missing ROMs". I know I'm missing something but I don't what problem is. MAME OS X isn't exactly user friendly like MacMAME.

I agree, it's not as user friendly as MacMAME. I'm all for an improvement, but unfortunately, I'm delegating this task to someone more motiviated than I. smile

As to trying to figure out the problem, MAME OS X should be able to provide all the information you need. I suggest setting the log level to "Debug" and then look at the Log window. If you can't interpret it, post it here, and I'll take a look. With Debug enabled, it should show every file that's tried, and any error that the MAME has with missing ROMs. If you have a current ROM set, it really shouldn't be too difficult to get this up and running. Just stick 'em in ~/Library/Application Support/MAME/ROMs, and run.

You can also try running the ROM auditing tool, using "Tools > Audit ROMs..." menu. Have it scan everything, or just a particular one you are having issues with.

-Dave

Last edited by Dave Dribin; 02/19/07 03:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (R. Belmont, Duke, MrBogi, 1 invisible), 39 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,835
Posts116,215
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020