Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26857 02/19/07 11:24 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I am a hardcore Mac user. I used to own the very first Powerbook G4 when it came out and back then (circa mid 2001)I'd be able to run the latest version of mame and play arcade greats such as Samurai Shodown and Art of Fighting 3 without the least bit of slowdown. Unfortunately it suffered a traveling accident and I no longer own it. Many years later I managed to get my hands on an iMac DV (that's right from back in 2000) at a bargain price ($150). I never expected to run MAME on it as I had tried it before on a friend's iMac (extremely slow), however I knew I could run 16 bit console emulators which I currently do. I am now in a position to purchase a brand new apple laptop but I don't know if I should settle for the Macbook or the Macbook Pro. I want to be able to run 2-d graphics intense games like 2-d fighters from Capcom or SNK, I just wonder if anyone knows if it will run well on a Macbook. On a sidenote, if anyone knows if the macbook can run a playstation one emulator I would appreciate any feedback since I hear the macbook isn't exactly strong with 3-d graphics. Thanks

Last edited by ruydiazmiocid; 02/19/07 11:26 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Both Macbooks will run Capcom/SNK games just fine (they're on low-end arcade hardware and it doesn't take much to emulate them). Just make sure to use MAME OS X instead of MacMAME, because MacMAME is not Universal yet and runs slowly on Intel.

I'm not familiar with what PSX emulation is available on the Mac right now, but I know the current king of PC emulators "pSX" is supposed to get a Mac port later this year (and maybe Richard will get bored and help that happen sooner ;-) and it's not very demanding of the video card.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 02/19/07 11:41 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks alot for the answer! I hope the psx gets a decent mac emulator soon then. grin

I reckon that's unlikely to be honest. Emulating a mac on a 33MHz R3000 is going to be bloody hard to do...

If anyone could do it, it'd be you, Richard. Although I'd prefer using my 2 ghz Macbook Pro to emulate a 33mhz R3000

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'm thinking emulating a 128k mac on a PS1 could work, although you'd have to get out and push a bit ;-)

I have not tried it on intel, but PCSX works fairly well with the one PS game I have, Soul Blade, on a 2GHz G5. The original site for it seems to be down, but you can find it here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (judge, 1 invisible), 51 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,957
Posts117,735
Members4,994
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com