Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
Yes, as a big supporter of Mame OS X and hate the DOS like selection, if you have anything to test, let me know.

M
M
Hi, first post over here and I just thought I'd say thanks for the nifty app, I've just started using this version of EMUlaunch with sdlMAME, and even though this is a MAME OS X thread I thought I'd give you a little feedback if you don't mind.

First the positive, well this version of EMUlaunch seems to work fine for me, it launches all the games and see's all the roms and images for my SNES, NES and all the other games. All in all I've liked this app since I first started using it.

Now the negatives, even if I create a rom analysis file with MacMAME EMUlaunch won't show any ROMs for MAME. Now fortunately I've just written my own xml file, a copy and paste from my old version, one which I made so I could put the games in the order that I wanted, so it's not really a problem for me but maybe will be for others. This version does seem a little slower when moving between games and systems than the previous version, but nothing that really hinders the enjoyment.

A couple of other things, with MAME OS X you can set the preferences in the app but when using sdlMAME you have to use a mame.ini file, and it took me a little while to work out that the mame.ini file has to be in the same directory as EMUlaunch, again not a major issue but it would be nice to either be able to set the options globally inside EMUlaunch or point it to the correct mame.ini file.

But another cheers for this app, I can't complain to much cause it works with a little tweaking and it is the most attractive front end on the mac at the moment.

Oh yeah a quick edit here, FYI I'm running this on a dual G5 2.0 Powermac with OS 10.4.8, so I'm unnaware if any of the problems are due to PPC/intel issues.

Last edited by myca; 04/02/07 08:32 AM.
L
L
Tried it with SDLMame, nothing shows up in the listing, even thouse the file has been generated.

M
M
Originally Posted By limtc
Tried it with SDLMame, nothing shows up in the listing, even thouse the file has been generated.

Hi again, if you check on the emuscene forum I've written a hopefully easy to follow working solution to getting EMUlauncher working with either MAME OS X or SDLMAME, it's fairly long but it should work without too much trouble.

L
L
Hi myca, nice to see you here. Ya, the process is so long that I am scared back to use MAME OS X!

A
OP Offline
A
I am sure the problems with generating the list have to do with the path names to your Rom Folder. If either of you could send me the EMUlaunch-mame.php file and the correct path to the folder which contains your roms folder that would be helpful.

Even more helpful would be if you know how to use the terminal, is to try and run the php file. Open the terminal and type in:

php /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/EMUlaunch-mame.php

and then see what error message you get. If you then open up the PHP file and look for the lines which contain your paths such as
file_get_contents('/Volumes/HARDDRIVE/OLDSchool/MacMAME/Reports/Romset Analysis'),
$file_contents = rom_xml('/Volumes/HARDDRIVE/OLDSchool/MacMAME/roms', '*.zip', $config_roms);
$file = "/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/EMUlaunch-mame.xml";

try and fix the path names and then redo the php terminal command. If you can get it to work that would help me a lot.

I am more than willing to accept any scripts which people can come up with to parse the -listxml/-listfull output of SDLMame, and anything for MameOSX. I spent some time looking at MameOSX but the Audit feature doesn't seem to output to any file I can parse. If anyone has any info on its report features that would be a step in the right direction.

I am also working on the slowness of switching consoles. Right now it generates the lists of games every time it switches to a new consoles. I am working on having it cache these lists. My reasoning for this in the beginning before I added MacMAME was that I wanted to be able to dump roms into a folder over a network to a standalone unit and not have to go through the preferences to regenerate the lists. I don't have thousands of roms so it wasn't an issue.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By myca
Hi again, if you check on the emuscene forum I've written a hopefully easy to follow working solution to getting EMUlauncher working with either MAME OS X or SDLMAME, it's fairly long but it should work without too much trouble.

Hey there myca, thanks for the long explanation and helpful tips to people on EMUScene for getting SDLmame to work in general.

Be aware that using that php function from my post above will overwrite the EMUlaunch-mame.xml file. But if you can get it to work by modifying the php function with your correct paths it might save you a ton of trouble.

M
M
Originally Posted By agallisa

Hey there myca, thanks for the long explanation and helpful tips to people on EMUScene for getting SDLmame to work in general.

Be aware that using that php function from my post above will overwrite the EMUlaunch-mame.xml file. But if you can get it to work by modifying the php function with your correct paths it might save you a ton of trouble.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work I keep on getting a "cannot write to file" error, even after I've checked the paths.

Never mind, I know the way I wrote in emuscene is a little long winded, But I've got my list of games now and it works. Plus it allows me to group the games as I like.

I'd love to be able to write some script to parse the xml output of MacMAMEinfoX, but alas I've no idea how to even start.

PS thanks for the software, I do especially like the fact that you can mess about with it somewhat by tweaking the preference files, for example I've set it to open up some C64 games now, and I've changed the artwork for that field in the .app package itself. I'm sure it's gonna evolve somewhat, but I pretty much like it as it is. I have to say though that I do like the look of that mgalaxy frontend also.

E
E
Here's the end of the output I get:
Code:
<folder type="1" dir="roms/Sony/" label="Sony">
															<folder type="1" dir="roms/Sony/Playstation/" label="Playstation">
																<folder type="1" dir="roms/Sony/Playstation/Images/" label="Images">
																</folder>
																<folder type="1" dir="roms/Sony/Playstation/roms/" label="roms">
																</folder>
															</folder>
</folder>
Cannot write to file

--and I think I just found the bug. in my php file and mt xml file, I have "MacMame User Data" in the path. Going to try escaping the spaces to see if that fixes it.

Last edited by Em Adespoton; 04/06/07 09:55 AM.
E
E
Well, that wasn't the bug. Examining the php file, I found that the error is misleading -- it is actually caused by $file_contents being null when the script tries to write it to file. Haven't figured out why this is yet.

However, I've also modified the script to use infoxml instead of the MacMame reports:
Code:
 	 	preg_match_all('/<game name="(.*)" sourcefile=".*">\n.*<description>(.*)<\/description>/', file_get_contents('/Users/<USER>/Documents/MacMAME User Data/Reports/MAME Game Info.xml'), $matches);

Also, in the latest version, "/Users" is missing from the beginning of the path in a number of places, when generated by the GUI.

I found my problem: regexp error. I forgot to wildcard some blank space. Not sure why the original was giving me a regexp error though.

Last edited by Em Adespoton; 04/06/07 07:44 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 25 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com