Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
FitzRoy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Im finally annoyed with headers to the point that Im bothering to register and suggest that Nestopia, along with all other active NES emulators, implement some kind of internal database if a universal one isnt possible. Headers have long been required for NES emulation and I just dont understand why any user should be burdened by something that could be made completely transparent to them.

The information present in a header could easily be moved to a single database file cataloguing all games that actually had PCBs and are unmodified. Once there, it would be far easier and more effective to revise/update than to require each user to change each file every time a new format is decided upon or a new GoodTools is released just so that they can get the best compatibility. GoodTools, of course, is closed source, infrequently released, and the developer is prone to errors because he catalogues infinitely created material like hacks and homebrews.

Header supporters are quick to point out that headers contain information vital to the emulation of a rom, but headers represent no part of rom data. Header formats are created by third parties, and despite containing information integral to the emulation of the rom, the manner in which this information is arranged is always going to be subjective. Putting it on the rom itself to accomplish some kind of feeling of greater accuracy because of its closeness to the rom data is just a load of hooey. Its not a part of the rom and its still a subjective format prone to endless revisionism and format wars. Simply put, this information is better collected and referenced outside of the rom data in a database file. If the emulator could scan a headerless roms checksums and find its attributes within an internal database, then people would only have to worry about having headers on modified files or homebrews and other infinitely creatable material.

If youre deterred by the time it would take to catalogue such a database, Im sure either I or someone else could help you build it so long as we are provided with an easily modifiable entry format.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
NEStopia *does* have an internal database smile (Well, actually it's in a separate file, but you know what I mean).

Last edited by R. Belmont; 05/25/07 03:16 AM.
F
FitzRoy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Really? Is it at the level that I'm referring to? I try to load headerless roms and it gives an "invalid file" error.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
it still need a header starting with NES and 0x16 long to load the game, but it can be empty and nestopia should be able to recognize the image

F
FitzRoy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Why does there have to be one at all? How do I go about adding empty headers to all of my games? Do you see what I'm getting at with my original post. First I have to remove them, now I have to add a ghost header? Their purpose is to exist?

Last edited by FitzRoy; 05/25/07 03:38 AM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
No, I agree, ROMs should not have headers at all. (I still think they should be separate CHR/PRG images in a zip container, but even getting rid of iNES headers would at least get us into the 21st century).

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I second this idea, but I was pointing out that still nestopia does not do that smile

X
X
This header format stuff has been endlessly debated at NesDev. I think it's more important that the iNES 2.0 format gets off the ground first. Although it may not be the perfection you're looking for, it's a good intermediary solution for the time being.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I agree to an extent, but at the same time if you're going to force everyone to change all their ROMs it *should* be to an ideal solution.

F
FitzRoy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By xamenus
This header format stuff has been endlessly debated at NesDev. I think it's more important that the iNES 2.0 format gets off the ground first. Although it may not be the perfection you're looking for, it's a good intermediary solution for the time being.

I'm not convinced of this at all. Header dependency has to end at some point and I think it's a good idea to get started. Another revision to the format isn't going to solve their inherent problems. I realize there's a concerted effort behind the iNES format and its someone's pet, but honestly, that shouldn't be getting in the way of doing what makes more sense.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vas Crabb), 38 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,088
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com