Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mike S. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there, I noticed the emulator has some basic save-state and movie recording in it, but I was wondering if it might be feasible to see more features geared for tool-assisted speedruns?

Some features I'm talking about (note that I'm not on a system currently that I can see if Nestopia has the features, sorry if I'm just repeating some it already has):
* Movie recording from console power-on, without a savestate. This should ideally be done in a manner that users can still start recording from any point with a savestate (or from a system reset with a savestate...)
* Frame-advance capabilities so TASers can optimally control their movie. (I also had the thought that perhaps it could also be done on a cycle-advance scale, though it'd make movie files substantially larger than might be needed, perhaps for the users that want it, you can variably change how often input is recorded in a movie file, so they don't get extraordinarily large for people just doing simple frame-advance; hey options never hurt).
* Bullet-proof save states. That is, each save state made during a movie also has a copy of the complete movie up to that point; this allows users to go through several points in the movie without breaking the main file. Save states from non-movie play should be rejected from loading to prevent accidental movie corruption (though loading save states from during a movie during regular play shouldn't be prevented).
* Read-only movie playing, so users can load movie save states to play from that point on. (Some checking might also be done to verify that the save state doesn't conflict with the input the movie actually has...)
* Displaying the number of frames that have happened; this is very useful to compare movie times accurately, especially if you're only timing single levels out of the entire run.
* Displaying input, so users can find out exactly how a certain trick or maneuver is performed.
* Flexible autofire. Instead of merely turning on/off a button press constantly, you could define how often a button is pressed and for how long (eg, hold A for 2 frames, let go for 4 frames, repeat).
* AVI output so people can share TAS videos with other people that lack a ROM-image.

I'm not trying to demand anything, but since I don't know how to code, I figured to ask (hey the worst case is that you don't implement any of them, and it wouldn't be a large loss :P). I like TASes, and sometimes I like to make them. Doing it in a accuracy-focused emulator would IMO be better than forever relying on FCEU as people currently do.

EDIT: I found a page on TASVideos <http://tasvideos.org/NewEmulatorConditions.html> which explains some things as well.

Last edited by Mike S.; 06/05/07 02:07 PM.
M
M
I'm not the biggest fan of TAS videos - why not use real skill?

That aside, most of these features should already be there, and some of them seem rather throwaway.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Pay no attention to Moogly, he also hates happiness, sunshine, and kittens :P

NEStopia in general is pretty close on most of the important parts of this so I don't think it'd be a major undertaking to add that stuff. And I personally love TAS videos. Of course, Marty's opinion is the only one that matters.

L
Lex Offline
L
I totally agree with everything Mike S. said. I love tool-assisted speedruns and would greatly appreciate if this (the best NES emulator I've ever seen) had tools for tool-assisted stuff. The update of the movie format sounds good from what I've read, and it probably shouldn't be too hard to add some of these features.

M
Mike S. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By MooglyGuy
I'm not the biggest fan of TAS videos - why not use real skill?

TAS videos aren't meant to show (playing) skill or cheat at non-assisted competitions. Your statement was either a weak troll or a level of ignorance to what the real goals are.

Last edited by Mike S.; 06/09/07 06:52 AM.
TAS videos are like those wanna-be musicians who use sequencers and other computerized tools to avoid having to actually play the songs live. Sure, they actually create music that's enjoyable to listen to, but it's cheating!!!!!

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
You mean I should have played this live? Or do you mean people simulating orchestras to make the listener believe it's being played live?

I'm not very knowledgeable on TAS, but I don't think it's about deceiving the viewer, it's almost an artform in itself, finding the fastest possible path by abusing game bugs and immediate reaction time.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
For that matter, plenty of classic speedruns abuse game bugs too smile

My post above about music was sarcasm to illustrate the absurdity of those who criticize TAS movies (unless they're cricitizing TAS movies which are claimed by their author to be non-TAS). I personally love the TAS movies I've seen, laughing the whole way through as one after another crazy feat is performed.

X
X
TASes are neat, but I certainly wouldn't want to watch one if I hadn't already beaten the game legitimately. That would probably ruin the experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (robcfg, nerd4gw, dxl, sCZther, 1 invisible), 16 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,916
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com