Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
D
When I first heard about this, I thought it was a shot across the bow aimed right at Adobe Photoshop. But then, someone found this post from an Adobe engineer saying that 64-bit Photoshop basically runs 5% slower than 32-bit. That seems rather odd, but I guess Adobe doesn't care much about 64-bit. And 32-bit Carbon is still supported. Heck, even the "new" Finder is Carbon. But still, the message from Apple is clear: Cocoa is the way forward.

Oh, and yeah that is me. blush That's an awesome pic. It looks like Wolf and I are gonna start fighting or something. Really, Wolf and I are good friends. wink

-Dave

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Compilers for x86-64 are still fairly immature, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are situations where 64-bit is slower. In MAME it's largely a wash right now, but 64-bit DRCs should in theory run much faster for the MIPS-based games than 32-bit.

R
R
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Wow! I actually did miss that, and it's huge - assuming Leopard is the end of the line for 32-bit (Vista is, and MS isn't normally that forward-looking) that means rebuilding MacMAME shifts from "pretty undesirable" to "total waste".

More to the point, it obsoletes just about all the code I've ever written. Bah humbug, I say.

D
D
Yeah, it just seems that extra registers in x86-64 would be very useful. I guess the caches become less effective in 64-bit, though, as well.

-Dave

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Hey, there's no roller coaster like developing for Apple hardware - that was even true in the late 80s :-)

Well, maybe it's time for me to stop paying for the macmame.net domain name. Seems kind of pointless having the website now.

AtariAge Blog
D
D
Originally Posted By Richard Bannister
More to the point, it obsoletes just about all the code I've ever written. Bah humbug, I say.

I doubt you're the only one who feels scrooged, but I don't quite think it's that bad. 32-bit Carbon code will still run just fine on 64-bit machines on 10.5. Finder is still Carbon, and it appears that the only 32-bit app shipping on Leopard is Xcode. I can't even imagine Apple pulling Carbon in 10.6. My guess is 10.7, which would put it 3-4 years away, at Apple's current pace. But, I guess stranger things have happened.

And once Apple does pull it, someone will just emulate it, anyway. Nothing ever dies with emulation. wink

-Dave

R
R
Cocoa just has two many damn square brackets. That is all.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, I was sort of hoping if they were going to effectively kill Carbon that they'd also introduce normal C/C++ bindings for Cocoa. NeXT failed guys, get over it.

S
S
Ah I do remember that frame advance in MAME was pause first then hold SHIFT and advance by hitting the ESC key. I gotta try that in MAME OS X. I know a lot users do want a more user friendly interface. I just don't see that happening in the near future.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (robcfg, Pernod, 1 invisible), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,019
Posts118,453
Members5,010
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com