Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
Originally Posted By Nathan Strum
I asked Brad about it, and the official word is, "I don't know." wink
He said he's keeping the option open to update it, and does think about it, but has no immediate plans.So at this point, MacMAME is not dead. It's just not updated, either.

I can only imagine his new job at apple working on the OpenGL team is going to take up all of his free time. http://www.brad-oliver.com:8081/~boliver/blog/archives/000932.html I would also hope that any new developers to the MAME scene on the mac would focus their efforts on Mame OS X, SDLMame, or a better frontend for all our emulators.

Last edited by agallisa; 06/29/07 01:10 PM. Reason: I r spll wrng
I just wonder if this means we'll have MAME for iPhone smile

You took the words right out of my mouth, Richard wink

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
My understanding is the iPhone has 3 ARM CPUs, none of them especially fast (hence the high battery life). And likely one's dedicated to the GSM/EDGE stuff. So I wouldn't hold my breath smile

I agree with him 100% regarding working at Apple: it's totally cool except for the "living in the Valley" part. I'm sure he'll cope though :-)

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/29/07 09:12 PM.
Originally Posted By agallisa
I can only imagine his new job at apple working on the OpenGL team is going to take up all of his free time.

Incorrect

Moving from Aspyr to Apple is just step 1 of his super-secret plan to release future MacMAME updates.

Best wishes for him for his new job !

Now he only needs to convince Steve to add MacMAME by default on OSX blush

Merry *XMas* (even Santa Klaus has dropped Classic support ...)
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Ah! I haven't been here in a while so I didn't see this thread. But this does explain the sudden surge of e-mail about this topic. wink

Here's my take: I think MAME OS X is great, and I gather it's only going to get better. I'm more than happy to help Dave out with this as needed, and in fact we've talked about it some in the past day. I have to confess I haven't yet run MAME OS X or seen what it does aside from glancing at the webpage (not to mention my ROMs are horribly out of date) so I don't know a whole lot about it.

As for MacMAME, well it's my baby and it's hard to kiss it goodbye after 10 years so I'll likely never say "it's dead." In fact, I continually entertain the notion of reviving it. I've kept personal builds going for a while now and I got close to releasing an update for the 10-year mark but I just can't seem to scrape together the time to polish it off. I had some thoughts about doing that once I relocate to Cupertino since I'll be awash in free time for a while, but there's no strong motivation. MacMAME's biggest plus is the integrated front-end, but it's way too "Classic" MacOS nowadays. wink

From a development standpoint, I'm not entirely convinced that MAME is best served by Cocoa, particularly with the event-loop inversion but I could be very wrong and I don't want to get into a Carbon/Cocoa flamewar, particularly since Apple has already delivered a few critical knife wounds at this latest WWDC that make the topic mostly moot.

I'd like to do some performance metrics pitting MacMAME against the Cocoa core in MAME OS X and to experiment a bit privately, but that's probably about as far as it'll ever go. Carbon's ambiguous future of course really makes any public release of MacMAME doubtful, because a switch to Cocoa in MacMAME would be wasted effort in light of MAME OS X. So it's almost a 95% certainty that it won't see any future updates. In fact I'm happy about the prospect of helping out on MAME OS X where I can and not having the burden of managing the release. I always found that very stressful because I had a compulsion to be very hands-on in the forums immediately following each release tracking support issues.

So enjoy MAME OS X and use it with my best wishes. smile If you have strong opinions about my continuing to do something on MacMAME, feel free to comment. If it does go forward at all, my preference would be to make it an unsupported "secondary" MAME app on the Mac with MAME OS X being the standard bearer and I would of course alter the webpages and MacMAME docs to mention that - if they ever get updated again at all. wink

Last edited by Brad Oliver; 07/01/07 02:35 AM.
Beeing an owner of a trusty but ageing G4, I can safely state that, more than the integrated frontend, MacMame's speed will be missed here!

A lot of drivers that are still doing well under MacMame are quite unplayable on my Mac, I'd say that overall Mame Os X is at least 20/30% slower. I guess it's time for me to move on smile

Anyway, Brad & Dave, thanks for everything!

I just checked in to start off the obligatory "MacMAME on iPhone" topic... but this topic seems much cooler.

I'd love to take this opportunity to thank Brad for all of his work on MacMAME. It opened my eyes to the world of emulation and filled my nostalgic arcade jones time and time again. Thank you.

And congrats on working for the "mothership". I think we all have that desire to a certain degree, but few of us get to realize it. Good luck.

Well I just signed up to chime in on this particular topic..
Hopefully Brad and all are still reading hehe.

I for one would love to see MacMAME updated. Its just what Ive gotten used to and well the front end is the best.
I do have SDLMame and MAME OS X and they work great but its the UI actually that keeps me wanting to go back to MacMAME.

Ive never really noticed a great deal of performance difference between the three its really just the frontends that didnt feel as smooth as MacMAME's.
Brad, if youre helping out Dave, perhaps we can get that kickass filebrowser/tabbed style front end integrated into MAME OS X?? Thats the one thing Id really really love to see in one of the newer emulators, if its gonna be MAME OS X, then so be it.

That all said let me add my thanks to ALL the devs out there that have put all the hard work in and given us OS X emus!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Golden Child), 44 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,835
Posts116,215
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020