Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By MESSfan
But for now it is unclear whether Nestopia will use split or joined images.

For romsets, it will use whatever the XML tells it to. Consider the following:

1) <prg size="32k" file="combined.rom" ... />

2) <prg id="0" size="16k" file="first.rom" ... />
<prg id="1" size="16k" file="second.rom" ... />

Same end result for an emulator but (2) is more informational (provided they're in fact two distinct chips) and sometimes even necessary if they differ in some ways, like in the case of two WRAM chips where a battery is connected to one but not the other. PRG and CHR will always be treated as two separate entities, meaning each element will point to a different file of choice.

For databases, the source image file can simply be of any type. Standard CRC32+SHA1 lookup of combined PRG+CHR data will be used to find an entry.

As for ROM file naming conventions, I honestly don't know what I like best. xxx.prg/chr? xxx.bin? xxx.rom? xxx? Since it's outside the scope of the format anyway I think I'll just stay out of that one.

M
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By etabeta78
I would be more interested in understanding how nestopia will handle the xml inside the zip.

It's pretty straightforward. It searches for an XML file inside the ZIP (any name will do), reads it and then, guided by the XML, loads and assembles the raw binary files (also inside the ZIP) to be used for emulation. In other words, NES and UNIF files inside the container won't work. The only way to utilize them with the XML format would be through a database.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
thanks for the explaination!

D
D
Will IPS files currently in existence still be usable with this new format?

"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
As long as you let NEStopia do the patching, many (probably not all) IPS files should work.

B
B
As far as the naming of files inside the container goes, as Marty said, they can be named whatever you want. I've tentatively decided to name them like so:

If they have an actual ID printed on them, that is what will be used. Just like MESSfan's example:

PAL-MW-0.PRG
NES-MW-0.CHR

If they don't have an ID (like epoxy blobs or eproms) I was planning on either using an implied name (e.g. another ROM with the same hash, that does have an ID) or just use the CRC32 for the filename:

43E95611.PRG
B4C1BFB4.CHR

I'm not sure if I'm going to have support to build images in this format in time for the next release of Nestopia, as there is a bit of behind the scenes stuff I need to get done first. I hope to have it ready ASAP though.

Once nice thing about the database aspect is that Nestopia will still have its huge internal DB with data for carts not yet in my system and then you'll be able to overlay one downloaded from my system on top of his. So your not stuck with one or the other and you can get an up-to-date one at any time without needing a new version of Nestopia to be released.

M
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
nesdev alternately denies there's a problem with iNES and pushes the weak-sauce iNES 2.0. I'm not sure they'll like medicine this strong, but with Marty and bootgod driving it's sure to attract attention :-)

And it sure did. Well, even if the OP there was unessecarily provocative, at least I got credited for being the creator of "the sunlight, the earth, the community...". Anyway, I'm tired right now so I'll just post some brief comments.

- IPS should work just fine as long as they're soft-patched. PRG+CHR minus 16 and voila.

- There are several excellent free XML parsers available, such as TinyXML. I wrote my own because I'm crazy.

- I'm not interested in leading a crusade to get rid of INES. Every format has its strengths and weaknesses. Apples and oranges. I like oranges.

- Nice work on Schpune Disch. smile

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Wow. That thread confirmed everything I ever thought was bad about nesdev - none of them give a flying frak about the actual hardware or software, they just like the free games. I expected that from most people, but it was disappointing to see it from the likes of Blargg.

Ahh well, when MAME and MESS go to xml-in-a-zip-wrapper ROMs at least they can't say we didn't warn them it was the Next Big Thing ;-)

Last edited by R. Belmont; 02/29/08 10:24 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted By Marty
- IPS should work just fine as long as they're soft-patched. PRG+CHR minus 16 and voila.

Well, you'd better convince Richard Bannister to add soft IPS support in the Mac version, or you can count me out as a customer for the new format (at least the zipfile aspect).
Quote:
- I'm not interested in leading a crusade to get rid of INES. Every format has its strengths and weaknesses. Apples and oranges. I like oranges.

Nor should you. As I said, INES will never go away. You're just adding another alternative for people to use, or not use. What ticked people off at nesdev is the fact that the poster proclaimed the death of INES. That's flat out wrong. Besides, INES files can still benefit from the XML database approach, so it isn't like you gain nothing by sticking with INES.

"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I dunno, once No-Intro or TOSEC or whoever puts up a torrent of new-format ROMs with included manuals, box, cartridge scans, Game Genie codes, and IPS patches (all in each game's zip container) then iNES is gonna start looking anemic.

Soft-patching is a core feature of NST as far as I know, so if Richard doesn't hook it up it's not Marty's fault.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (newuzer), 26 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,993
Posts118,153
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com