Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31128 07/04/07 12:58 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all,

Apologies for the very basic questions...my google searches aren't helping. I have finally compiled the latest version of sdlmame, but now am totally unsure of how to run my roms. I've tried running the MAMEG5 executable that appeared after the compile was finished with no success. It displays a text file but I can't make it actually run anything. I've also tried simply typing "mame", and "mameG5" into the terminal in my install directory to no effect.

Thanks for any help at all, even if it's just a link to some already well known instructions.

R
R
Well ya, you have to use terminal. First, put your roms in the roms directory in your sdlmame folder, remember the roms names, it helps.

cd to your mame directory, type "./mameg5 -createconfig" without the quotes, to make a config file (which you can edit later).
Then pick a game to play and run it. I picked pacman in my example here... "./mameg5 pacman" (without quotes) will run pac man.

That's pretty much it.

SDLMAME OSX Intel Builds: http://sdlmame.lngn.net/
P
OP Offline
P
R0ni thanks so much for your help! That got me into gameplay. I am having some new issues though...when running the version i compiled myself (with no errors generated) the colors are corrupted throughout. I tried using the custom cps3.c file on the sdlmame site without much luck.

I then tried your G4 binary and the game looks great, although seems a little slow on my G5. Do you have any idea what i could have done wrong? I followed the instructions in the .txt file for compiling, although i had some difficulties when trying to recompile after switching cps3.c files.

Thanks so much for your time!!

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
which version of SDLMAME are you using as a base? the cps3.c in 0.116u3 is more advanced than the custom one on arbee's site

other than that, could there be some remaining endian issue?

Last edited by etabeta78; 07/04/07 04:01 PM.
N
N
On my G5 with CPS-III in particular you have to wait 15-20 seconds before the Capcom logo appears. Hitting F10 to turn of the speed throttle helps. There are definately issues remaining for big endian machines, but the games should be playable. Stick with the cps3.c that came with u3.

R
R
Well I tested sfiii3 on my G4 and I get it running somewhere at 87% speed skipping like 10 frames at a time. I assume you should get something better out of any G5 then I do with my 1ghz G4.

As for the messed up colors, that is probably a result of you replacing the cps3.c file. The one included with 0116u3 is fine to use.

SDLMAME OSX Intel Builds: http://sdlmame.lngn.net/
P
OP Offline
P
I'll try compiling 0116u3 again with the built in cps3.c driver.

Is anyone else out there using a dual 2.0 G5 powermac? If so, how is your performance compared to the arcade?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
My G5's a dual 2.0 and the performance was fine in SF3 last time I tried it (running OpenGL with an ATI X800 card). I can check again with u3.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 07/05/07 03:33 AM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
FYI: I have all the layers displaying on PowerPC now, I'm working on the sound issue.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dorando), 20 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com