Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Integra Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there any way to disable the "Updating Game List
at Startup"? I have looked through Preferences and
all menu items completely, I cannot seem to find a
way to disable this. Is it possible to disable?

(Before anyone mentions it, Checking / Unchecking
Preferences => General => "Check for Updates at Startup"
has no effect on what I am trying to achieve. frown )

Any help is appreciated. In advance, thank you.

Do you mean when it checks the roms for validity?

preferences/general/ uncheck "audit roms at startup"

I don't get an updating game list myself.

Magneto phone!? This is not a magneto phone!!
Integra Offline OP
OP Offline
What I am talking about is this ... it appears at the bottom of
MAME OS X each time it starts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45332683@N00/1406237354/

(or .. )

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/1406237354_628eb5251b.jpg?v=0

If anyone can help and give instructions on how to turn this off,
I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Even if it does, it does not put the user in a modal state, so you can continue to do whatever you wanted to without waiting.

BTW, it takes about half a second on my machine anyway.

T
T
Originally Posted By Carbon
Even if it does, it does not put the user in a modal state,

Not quite true. There is a Catch 22 here. I just updated from 0.118 to 0.124 and launched 0.124. It has showed the Updating game list at the bottom for more than 1 hour now, and the main window says "You must run an audit to popluate this list" but the "Audit Unaudited Games" button is grayed out. The progress bar is and has remained at zero, so basically MAME OS X is hung aside from being able to set preferences. My MenuMeters extension shows only a 5% processor load and next to no disk activity. This is on a 2.26 GHz Mac Mini with 7200 RPM drive and 4GB RAM. So whatever MAME is doing during Updating game list, it isn't trying very hard.

Also, why would Updating game list ever take so long? People claim it takes less than a second, but I have seen far more postings here that updating game list takes forever. Just for kicks, I copied all the ROM zip files to /tmp and ran ``unzip'' on them all, and it took less thanwo minutes for about 500 games. And running ``md5sum'' on all the zip files took 45 seconds. So a quick and dirty zip file signature check could identify 700 games in a minute. Is Updating game list doing more than just looking in the "Application Support/MAME OS X/ROMS" directory that I have set in the preferences? Is it crawling through the entire file system and attempting to open every .zip file that it can find? If this is the case, then can we please have an option to prevent MAME from looking at the entire system directory structure?

Does MAME OS X provide any deeper diagnostic info? One suggestion would be to print the name of the folder and/or zip file being analyzed during updating game list. Like I mentioned above, the progress bar is basically the sideways gray and white "barber shop pole", suggesting that it hasn't even reached square one in terms of whatever pre-processing it needs to do before updating the game list. Is there any method to set deeper diagnostic info, say by running the executable from the command line with a switch or setting a .plist value. Can anyone identify the steps that Updating game list takes before it actually ingests the first .zip file?

It really looks like there is a bug here.

T
T
I just went in to the preferences and found the setting to increase log level and then relaunched MAME OS X. This time it got over the Updating game list hump (in under a second) and is allowing me to Audit the games. YAY!

I wonder if this is a 0.118 vs 0.124 preferences file issue. Since I saved out 0.124 preferences when I changed the log level, maybe that was more to MAME's liking.

C
C
This still seems to be an issue with 0.135.

To reproduce the problem delete (or rename) the "MAME OS X.db" file then start MAME, the db file will be recreated within a few seconds but then the program hangs with the "Updating game list" message and doesn't allow an audit. Although restarting MAME with the new db file solves the problem.

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Reznor007, 1 invisible), 34 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,654
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com