Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
While not really MAME related, his Steveness just announced Apple's plans for an iPhone SDK by February:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

Quote:
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February.

And:

Quote:
P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.

Cheers,

-Dave

Fantastic news, although I have already 3rd party applications running on my iPod touch.

And to keep with the spirit of this board: one of the apps is a port of a NES emulator smile

So, how about OS X MAME, Dave? (wow, I'm so subtle: iPhone/iPod touch run OS X, so MAME OS X for those -> OS X MAME wink )

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
There's not enough CPU power in those devices - the modern MAME core wants 1 GHz to start booting. A port from 0.3x like the GP2X version or an original i* targeted emulator with lots of ARM assembly would work out better. I'd hate to see what it does to the battery life though - YouTube is pretty murder on my touch as it is.

D
OP Offline
D
With regard to MAME OS X on the iPhone. I think it'll depend on how open the platform is. No one knows what the "advanced system" for security is, yet. It's probably at least digital signatures. Does this mean Apple gets to approve which apps get put on the iPhone?

I'm fairly certain the iPhone uses OpenGL ES for graphics and Core Audio for sound, so that part of MAME OS X should work. While the language of choice is still Objective-C, the UI is not NSView-based. A completely new UI would be needed. Plus, lack of physical controls sorta sucks, but at least we won't have to deal with HID.

I figure the CPU should be able to handle older games, no? I guess we'll have to wait until February to find out. smile

-Dave

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Someone already got SDLMAME to run on the iPhone - Pacman was frameskip 11, so they threw it out and went with porting the GP2X version (which has ARM assembly CPU cores and is based on 0.29) and that apparently works much better. I assume once there's an official SDK they'll just "legalize" that, openness permitting.

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 34 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,133
Posts119,660
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com