Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34926 10/22/07 09:02 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I truly love using MAME OS X. It fits the bill for the games that I want to play, but with one exception - there is no preference to automatically enable audio effects.

The audio experience is just as important as the visual one, unless you are deaf, then disregard. However, for those of us who are able to hear, having the ability to listen to the sound of an old game with enhancements such as the audio effects that are included in MAME OS X is quite a joy. However, having to manually set up audio effects everytime MAME OS X is started, especially when using a front-end such as EMULaunch, detracts from the gaming experience. With that, I would like to let you know that I use the Enable Visual Effects preference, Aperature 1X2, and I think it works great! It is nice that everytime MAME OS X starts, the visual effect of my choice is automatically selected and enabled. I would really love to see such a feature included with the audio side of the house.

Please Mr. Dribin, would you create a version of MAME OS X that has a preference to enable audio effects at startup? I really love the AUMatrixReverb hallway effect...sounds awesome on Ms. Pacman! I would really appreciate it if you would work on this. I would gladly make any donations necessary! lol!

Thanks!

Squid3660 #35459 11/06/07 01:06 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I was thinking about writing an Applescript for MAME OS X to have it enable audio effects, but it turns out MAME OS X is not scriptable. Are there other ways of setting up some kind of custom automation for this program?

Thanks,

Complete Noob.

P.S. --> Feel free to flame me at will.

Squid3660 #35534 11/08/07 03:12 PM
D
D
Sorry, there's no way to do this, currently. Due to the lameness of Core Audio, there's no super easy way to do it, and I'm not willing to spend a lot of time figuring it out, ATM.

-Dave

S
OP Offline
S
Dave, thanks for taking the time to answer! Seems I found a way to achieve what I wanted to accomplish... albeit it cost me $30.00, but it is worth it... I downloaded a program called OSS 3D, which takes over all the sounds in OS X and applies whatever sound expanding effects I choose, and lets me save those settings as a preset. MAME OS X plus OSS 3D makes for the perfect visual and sonic MAME experience! I guess I have to thank you for NOT including an Audio Setting Preference, otherwise I wouldn't have stumbled upon this program.

Thanks!
Squid

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (R. Belmont), 27 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,113
Posts119,448
Members5,024
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com