Next Thread
Print Thread
#35604 11/11/07 01:16 PM
M
Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry for the OT but no-one else I know owns a Mac wink

Simple one, what is user upgradeable in a MacBook? By user upgradeable I mean can be done without voiding the warranty. I've downloaded the manual and it looks like just the memory. Can someone please confirm this?

I'm going to order one today for the wife and was going to get the base model then upgrade the memory later myself (considerably cheaper than Apple even if using the identical Kensington memory units) but if the HDD and optical drive aren't upgradeable then I may go for the next model up even though I begrudge how much extra they want just for an extra 30GB HDD space and to write DVDs!

That and I'll need to share this MB until I order my MBP in January...

Thank,
Martin.

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
You can change the RAM and hard disk without breaking any seals and voiding the warranty. The RAM is SODIMM form factor. The hard disk is a low profile 2.5" SATA form factor, and is accessible through the battery bay (like the RAM). You can't change the optical drive without ripping the beast apart, which will, of course, void the warranty. I use an external FireWire burner with mine (and an external RAID for PokéROMing).

M
Martin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ah thank you! After you said the HDD can be upgraded I had another look on the support site and found the separate document that details how to do it. They're kind of sneaky not putting it in the manual smile

Hmm, now that leaves us with decisions and dilemmas!

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, Carbon), 12 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,935
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com