Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
*I've attached a general overview of my experience with MAME OS X's compatibility with Playstation 2 Controllers at the end just in case anyone is interested*

*MAME OS X is great, much thanks to Dave Dribin and everyone who has put work into it. This is really a minuscule problem, but I figured I'd go into as much detail as possible, for the record*

I'm having problems with *multiple* Playstation 2 Controllers and MAME OS X (MOSX). The most pressing issue I'm having is that the directional input from two separate gamepads map out as if they are the coming from the exact same source (Both map as Joystick 1 Up, Down, Left and Right).

Is there any way to change any config files that control the automatic joystick detection for MOSX?

The two playstation controllers attach to my computer through a generic adapter that has two input ports and connects to the computer through only one usb port. It doesn't seem to be a hardware/driver problem because other programs detect this setup as a twin USB joystick and map separate controls for each of the gamepads' analog sticks, directional pads and buttons (ControllerMate and VisualBoyAdvance both detect the controllers correctly). If relevant, I'm on a Powerbook G4 (PPC) running OS X 10.5.

MOSX detects the 2 controllers as only one joystick. The joystick detection works wonderfully when playing on your own. MOSX also work fine for mapping the buttons on both pads. There are twelve buttons on each pad and they get mapped as Joystick 1 Button 1-24. However the analog sticks/directional pads map as the same input: Joy 1 Up, Down, Left, Right, etc.).

I've checked out /Application Support/MAME OS X/Config and .../Input and found no files that seem relevant. I also looked in /Preferences/net.mame.mameosx to no avail. I even poked around a little inside MAME OS X.app but felt a little in over my head...

As a last resort, I tried turning off the "Enable Joystick" option and mapping the joystick to keys with ControllerMate, but MOSX does not recognize the input. (Similar to a post on MOSX and USB Overdrive here: http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=31515&page=7 )

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks...

Graham

-------------------------------------------------

Here's the full compatibility info for two Playstion 2 Dual Shock controllers plugged in using a generic Playstation to USB adapter. I compared the input readings to those of ControllerMate and have made note of any disparities:

Format: Controller Button = What MAME Recieves as Input

Controller 1:

Triangle = Joy 1 Button 1
Circle = Joy 1 Button 3
Cross = Joy 1 Button 5
Square = Joy 1 Button 7
L2 = Joy 1 Button 10
R2 = Joy 1 Button 11
L1 = Joy 1 Button 14
R1 = Joy 1 Button 15
Select = Joy 1 Button 17
Start = Joy 1 Button 19
Left Stick pressed in with analog on = Joy 1 Button 22
Right Stick pressed in with analog on = Joy 1 Button 24

(ControllerMate maps these as one group of buttons #1-#12)

W/ ANALOG OFF:

Directional Pad = Works in all 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction]
i.e. Joy 1 Left, Joy 1 Left Up, Joy 1 Up, etc...

Left Analog Stick = Same as D-Pad...works in all 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction]

Right Analog Stick = Works as Controller 1's main input buttons. (Up is Triangle, Right is Circle, Down is Cross, Left is Square).

(Same results with ControllerMate)

W/ ANALOG ON:

Directional Pad = Detected as Joystick 1 Hatswitch 1. Reads in only two directions: left (L) and right (R).

(ControllerMate detects this as an 8 directional hatswitch)

Left Analog Stick = Does not read as an analog axis. Still reads as 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction].

(ControllerMate detects as an analog axis).

Right Analog Stick = Works as analog axis 3 and 4.

Controller 2:

Triangle = Joy 1 Button 2
Circle = Joy 1 Button 4
Cross = Joy 1 Button 6
Square = Joy 1 Button 8
L2 = Joy 1 Button 9
R2 = Joy 1 Button 12
L1 = Joy 1 Button 13
R1 = Joy 1 Button 16
Select = Joy 1 Button 18
Start = Joy 1 Button 20
Left Stick pressed in with analog on = Joy 1 Button 21
Right Stick pressed in with analog on = Joy 1 Button 23

(ControllerMate maps these separate from the first controller as a group of buttons #1-#12)

W/ ANALOG OFF:*

Directional Pad = Works in all 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction]
i.e. Joy 1 Left, Joy 1 Left Up, Joy 1 Up, etc...

Left Analog Stick = Same as D-Pad...works in all 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction]

Right Analog Stick = Works as controller 2's main input buttons. (Up is Triangle, Right is Circle, Down is Cross, Left is Square).

W/ ANALOG ON:

Directional Pad = Detected as Joystick 1 Hatswitch 1. Reads in only two directions: left (L) and right (R).

Left Analog Stick = Does not read as an analog axis. Still reads as 8 directions as Joy 1 [Direction].

*Controller 2's directional and analog controls map the exact same as Controller 1. ControllerMate maps Controller 2 as a separate group of inputs*

OP Offline
Originally Posted By 0graham0
W/ ANALOG ON:

This is a mistake. I found out that MAME OS X does detect the analog sticks as analog inputs, although I didn't have much luck controlling gas and brake pedals in pole position. MAME OS X also detects both the left and right analog stick as the same input (Joy 1 X and Y Axis).

Last edited by 0graham0; 11/12/07 04:13 PM.
I have a PS1 dual analogue pad (pre-shock) using an adapter and myself and others have noted that even with the analogue switch active v118 MAME OS X doesn't read analogue input: sticks get digital mapping regardless. To confirm this, try to map directions in a game using analogue controls like Food Fight or I, Robot using X-axis or Y-axis rather than left, right, etc. I cannot get any read. If you _are_ getting analogue controls this is useful information.

You can download v117 which didn't have these issues for myself or others to see if you notice a difference. You can get older versions of MAME OS X from the developer's sourceforge page someplace...

Sean Aaron
OP Offline
I might have been confused because it seemed like in Pole Position I can use "Joy 1 Y-Axis" as the Pedal 2 analog. It doesn't respond very well, but it reads the input. However other games don't respond...

Thanks for the info, I'll try v117...

M
M
I am having similar issues with a USB analog steering wheel (posted here). Basically, in MAME OS X 118 I select the Input (this game) menu, and then select the analog control I want to set. When I turn the steering wheel, it will register as X or Y axis correctly. But then I can't get them to respond well during game play no matter how I adjust the sensitivity and the settings.

I have tried 117-1 (which does not have an input setting in the Preferences), and if I use the default controls I can use the steering wheel fine. But if I select the Input (this game) menu, MAME OS X won't detect my analog control.

Is there something going on with the analog (joystick) input on 118?

It certainly appears so. Hopefully .119 will sort things out.

Sean Aaron
M
M
use a 360 controller instead. wireless too! siC wit It

P
P
Originally Posted By MasterTurkey
use a 360 controller instead. wireless too! siC wit It

are you using one sucessfully? i have a wireless 360 controller hooked up to mame os x but the 2 back triggers do not work.

OP Offline
I would use a 360 controller if I had infinite amounts of money wink But seriously, have you had success with using multiple 360 controllers in MAME OS X?

R
R
I just wanted to add a 'me too' to the original topic. I have a two-port PS2-to-USB adapter, and I see the same issue with multiple controllers: the buttons on each controller are recognized separately, but the d-pads are seen as being the same.

I don't think it's a case of the adapter being crappy - other applications have recognized the two joypads just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Pernod, Vas Crabb, 1 invisible), 35 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,654
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com