Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JoJo Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm investigating the source of a problem encountered with MESS to see if it caused by a bug or a misconfiguration: it involves natural keyboard mode and non-US keyboards.

What's strange is that the problem happens both on my desktop (Linux, SDLMESS, current SVN build, UNICODE, P4 and DEBUG set to 1) and on my laptop (WinXP, MESSGUI, official .120 binary downloaded from the site)

Both machines use their respective Italian keyboard layout, but I guess that using your localized layout won't make a difference.

To test this, locate the British pound sign on your keyboard (on the Italian keyboard is Shift+3 - if you don't have it, well thanks for having read till now wink , fire MESS with a machine that has this key on its keyboard (e.g. Amstrad CPC or any 8-bit Commodore) and select natural keyboard.

Now try to input the character - on both my systems, nothing will happen - anyway you'll be able to cut&paste the character using MESSGUI. Nathan, whose keyboard uses the US layout and cannot input the character, has done some indirect tests and reports everything seems OK - the technical details are filed under bug #1423 on Bugzilla.

Please report your findings in this thread or on Bugzilla

Thanks

JoJo
B
B
There must definitely be an issue at work; see this post. Though it isn't clear to me whether there is a single problem, or a bunch of similarly appearing but distinct problems on both the Win32 and SDL side.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Well, SDL itself has issues we inherit with non-US keyboards (hence the keymap files I ship for French, Belgian, German, and Swiss keyboards), but I gather this is something different. Hard to tell though - the linked post doesn't give much info.

BTW, Jojo, UNICODE=1 doesn't do anything for SDLMESS. Linux and OS X are both UTF-8 native (including the standard C string functions) so i18n is basically free.

JoJo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Well, SDL itself has issues we inherit with non-US keyboards (hence the keymap files I ship for French, Belgian, German, and Swiss keyboards), but I gather this is something different. Hard to tell though - the linked post doesn't give much info.

Definitely it's not SDL related, otherwise official Win32 build wouldn't be affected...

BTW didn't you received the Italian keymap file I sent you a couple of weeks ago?

Anyway, the keymap code seems solid: once defined a proper keymap I've never encountered any problem.

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
BTW, Jojo, UNICODE=1 doesn't do anything for SDLMESS. Linux and OS X are both UTF-8 native (including the standard C string functions) so i18n is basically free.

Oh well, I mentioned it just for completeness. Those options were the only ones that differed from the default makefile.

JoJo
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, I did get your km-it, I just apparently forgot to copy it to the distribution folder. My bad.

JoJo Offline OP
OP Offline
It might be related, or not, but I've noticed that in natural keyboard mode the numeric keypad keys have inconsistent behaviour: ASTERISK, SLASH_PAD and ENTER_PAD are recognized as equivalent of their non-keypad counterparts, while the other keys aren't.

JoJo

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (box, 1 invisible), 27 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,086
Posts119,083
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com