Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hey everyone! I'm new to the board. Just converted from MacMame to Mame OS X. Love it.

I've been trying to configure all the extras and I was hoping someone can help me with the following:

1. What is the Control Panels folder used for? I was hoping this was where I could put my X-Arcade .cfg file (so my X-Arcade Dual would have special MAME keys), but that doesn't seem to work. What type of files are supposed to go here?

2. In the Cabinet Art folder, what format should the material be per game: loose files, zip files or folders (like the Screenshots folder)?

Last edited by Triangel7D; 02/26/08 09:59 PM.
W
W
I wanted a Mac it seemed hard to buy. Let you know. I'm on PC.

T
OP Offline
T
I figured out the Cabinet Art issue. The zip files work great. Anybody know anything about the Control Panels folder? It's still a mystery to me.

Wippy, do you need Mac advice?

Last edited by Triangel7D; 02/29/08 02:48 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Wippy has Tourette's or something. Pay no attention smile

D
D
Originally Posted By Triangel7D
I figured out the Cabinet Art issue. The zip files work great. Anybody know anything about the Control Panels folder? It's still a mystery to me.

"Control Panels" is the same as the "-ctrlrpath" on baseline. It's for controller-specific configuration files. So, I think you do put your x-arcade file there.

FWIW, I think both of these directories are described in the manual:

http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/documentation/manual/directories.html

(Though I do need to update the link to artwork in the manual. Drat.)

-Dave

D
D
Hmm.... after digging in the code a bit, while -ctrlrpath is supported in MAME OS X, it looks like -ctrlr isn 't supported. I guess that sort of defeats the point. :-/ File a bug on that, and I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

-Dave

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Wippy has Tourette's or something. Pay no attention smile

Brilliant laugh

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Dave! Keep up the amazing work! I think you should also know that the guys at XGaming (the X-Arcade people) were the ones that referred me to Mame OS X. The Mac guys over really love it.

So does that mean that someday the program will support the X-Arcade.cfg file that's on their website (this file allows the PC Mame to use some custom key strokes on the X-Arcade joysticks)?

M
M
Originally Posted By Dave Dribin
"Control Panels" is the same as the "-ctrlrpath" on baseline. It's for controller-specific configuration files. So, I think you do put your x-arcade file there.

The "Control Panels" folder has nothing to do with MAME itself. It's traditionally the folder where images of cabinet control panels are stored for various front-ends. Not sure which ones use it, though. I think crtrlpath is usually "Controls" or "Controllers".

You know, if you use a front end that supports several image folders, you can always aim one of the directories at another image directory...point Marquees at Control Panels, for instance. I find that more useful to have a reference for how the controls were setup than looking at the marquee image.

Yeah, what M. Twitty says. Myself, I created a little html file with a table listing game name, year, manufacturer and then links to the various image files since current front-ends to MAME OS X only support one or two image files at best. Sort of a little history page I can click on when I want a bit of nostalgia that makes me feel like collecting all of those images wasn't a waste of time ;-).

Sean Aaron

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 56 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,231
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020