Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Warpath Offline OP
OP Offline
I know I'm not a programmer, but I do need some assistance in recompiling MAME to work Pole Position gear changing as in the original arcade (Single button). I've looked into the polepos.c file, and I see the instructions to zero value a specific variable to make this work. But I'm not sure where to apply this to make it work. If anyone could give me some pointers (no pun, intended) I'd appreciate it.

P.S. Would this method need to be done to all the games that changed gears this way? (Out Run, Turbo, etc. etc.) (I'm pretty sure it's a yes here, I just want to be sure the method is identical to all of them)

"This parrot wouldn't voom if I put 4 million volts through it!" - John Cleese
Warpath Offline OP
OP Offline
Do I zero out the define for port_toggle (#Define Port_toggle 0)?
or is it somewhere else that I do this? (polepos.c?)

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'm sorry, I don't think anyone here knows anything about this. Assuming this is a cabinet-builder thing you'd probably get better results at BYOAC.

Warpath Offline OP
OP Offline
No, it's actually part of the source. (you can read about it in the polepos.c file under drivers). I guess this is a Mainline thing. Albeit I also posted this in the compiling board and no one seems to know there as well. It basically says to zero port_toggle to get original function. I just don't understand what to zero out. (This is referring of course to the gear toggling function only)

Last edited by Warpath; 03/27/08 08:45 PM.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Right, but the only reason I'm aware of to change it is if you're running a cabinet with an actual gear shift - it would be unplayable on a regular keyboard or joypad if you made that change. This is why I'm suggesting cabinet-oriented forums would probably know better what to do with this.

Warpath Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, no I understand what you mean, I was just asking how this can be done so i could compile a personal version for myself, to use in my cabinet. You defintely do not want to make this a permanent change. (Yeah, making that change mainstream would definitely suck). But I'll check the BYOAC forums, to see if anybody has done that over there. Thanks anyway.

M
M
One of the guys on Jamma+ did this recently. I presume you're sorted by now, but just for the record, to use a mame version of Pole Position in a real pole position cab:

[censored - please see my post below]

Last edited by R. Belmont; 04/03/08 11:52 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'm sorry, I had meant to close this topic. The upshot is that we cannot support custom versions of SDLMAME here and I would prefer not to give step-by-step instructions to people who may not have enough experience to support themselves. BYOAC is able to support this sort of thing, we are not.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 04/03/08 11:54 PM.
Warpath Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, thanks anyway I did figure it out. I apologize to RB, I didn't mean to start a subject that wasn't allowed (well, I do admit I did not know that this subject wasn't allowed). But still, I already got my answer at the BYOAC boards, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction at least. I'll be extra careful posting next time.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, Carbon), 12 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,935
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com