Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40495 04/27/08 12:31 AM
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
As I warned, it's a few days late. Releases for the next 3-4 weeks may also experience delays - it's that time of year at work for me.

Anyway, get it at the homepage.

Nothing SDL-specific this time, but there's some very interesting baseline stuff like Couriersud's rewrite of the AY-3-891x sound chip (which is still a work in progress but shows some improvements already).

Smoke tested on Fedora 8 (x64), Mac OS X 10.5.2 (PowerPC and Intel), and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition SP1 (32-bit binary built).

P
P
i'm getting this error when i run sdlmame0124u4 with snk games. works fine with sdlmame0124u3.

Code:
default: no such bios

Ignoring MAME exception: default: no such bios

Last edited by play0r; 04/27/08 04:40 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, Atari Ace changed how the -bios switch works and I don't yet understand the new syntax. Since this is a baseline thing, you should probably ask on e.g. MAMEWorld or something.

P
P
thanks for the quick response and i'll definitely do so. if anything interesting comes out of the post i'll report back.

P
P
ha. i should RTFM more often.

Quote:
Specifying an invalid bios is now a fatalerror. Also, “default” is
no longer a special BIOS type; if you want the default BIOS, leave
the bios option blank. [Atari Ace]

Originally Posted By play0r
ha. i should RTFM more often.

Quote:
Specifying an invalid bios is now a fatalerror. Also, “default” is
no longer a special BIOS type; if you want the default BIOS, leave
the bios option blank. [Atari Ace]

Same thing happened to me. I even posted a bug to MAMETesters about it so sure that it was a problem. I normally have only path information in my MAME.INI (letting Front-End take care of the rest), but sometime along the way - I got a full MAME.INI in there with the "bios default" line. Took that out and all was fine and dandy.

Also, expect the next U release to not fatal error out when an invalid bios is selected and instead using the default but mentioning the selected one was incorrect. Aaron mentions correcting this behavior.

http://www.mametesters.org/mantis/view.php?id=149

R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Good lord. The old behavior was perfectly fine. This new behavior is just plain awful - nowhere else in MAME is the default option for something a null string (-video none, for instance). I'll have to see if I can override in OSD.

A
A
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Good lord. The old behavior was perfectly fine. This new behavior is just plain awful - nowhere else in MAME is the default option for something a null string (-video none, for instance). I'll have to see if I can override in OSD.

Or you could just fix it right in baseline. I'm not particularly attached to AA's approach (he took the original bug report a bit too literally). I agree we should warn (not error) if the specified BIOS isn't found; but as long as there is a default to fall back on, that's what we should do.

Regarding the empty string, the same applies to -playback and -record, actually. But again I wouldn't object to keeping 'default' as a keyword meaning, well, 'default'.

J
J
I'm a bit at a loss over the problem on u4. I hadn't even notice any default bios feature.

If it means I can't play Mace, I'll hold off on the update.

I'll go read the changelog.

P
P
i am getting a lot of audio underflows with this new version though. i have an old computer, but everything was fine in 0124u3.
any ideas?

nevermind, i recently dist-upgraded and ubuntu decided to install their nvidia drivers as well and it was making a conflict.

Last edited by play0r; 04/28/08 04:34 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 24 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,250
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com