Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40616 04/30/08 12:00 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I have problems with the vector rendering os Mame OSX. Vector games are barely playable because of these rendering issues.

- No matter what beam-width I choose, the width is 2 pixels. I can enter say 2000 or something in this field, yet the line stays 2 pixels. At 2 pixels, the image is very dim. I hoped for 3 or 4 pixels, but I cannot set this.
- The beams are blueish. This also adds to the dimness of the total picture. I wan't them white. How do I set this?
- Dots are invisible. Fore example the bullets in Asteroids are invisible. I think a real vector monitor shows dots even brighter than lines, not dimmer. On corners of polygons this effect does work, but not on single dots. Is it possible to increase dot brightness in next versions?

D
D
Originally Posted By Ome Joop
I have problems with the vector rendering os Mame OSX. Vector games are barely playable because of these rendering issues.

- No matter what beam-width I choose, the width is 2 pixels. I can enter say 2000 or something in this field, yet the line stays 2 pixels. At 2 pixels, the image is very dim. I hoped for 3 or 4 pixels, but I cannot set this.

Hmm, true. I must have hooked up the pref wrong (or the core option changed).

Quote:
- The beams are blueish. This also adds to the dimness of the total picture. I wan't them white. How do I set this?

The color is set by the game, IICR. The original Asteroids shows up white for me, for example. And Star Wars is definitely in color.

Quote:
- Dots are invisible. Fore example the bullets in Asteroids are invisible. I think a real vector monitor shows dots even brighter than lines, not dimmer. On corners of polygons this effect does work, but not on single dots. Is it possible to increase dot brightness in next versions?

Not sure why your seeing that. The bullets in Asteroids show up just fine for me. Maybe you've got bad preferences or strange overlays. Have you tried resetting your preferences?

-Dave

O
OP Offline
O
You say the colour is set by the game. But the original B&W vector games were incapable of showing colour, so I guess there is no colour-control in the game itself. The green/blue cast to the beams in Asteroids Deluxe must be made by MAME developers. The original tubes had cold TL-tube coloured light I guess, so that must have caused the interpretation built into Mame. Maybe the Mame-team should introduce an option to set the beam-colour for B&W vector games. That way you can compensate for colour temperature settings of your screen manually.

About the dots: they are 1x1 pixel compared to 2 pixel wide beams. When I reset the settings, things get little better because flickr set to 1 instead of 0.2 increases overal brightness. With a resolution switch to 640x480 things get more visible, but dots remain 1x1 pixel. Which is kind of odd. Vector-games should profit from my 1600x1200 resolution instead of suffer from it. Vector Mame does not scale well to higher resolutions now I guess. 2pixel wide beams and 1 pixel dots do reasonable on 640x480, but on 1200x1600 the density of lines reduces by 84%! On these resolutions beams should be 3 or 4 pixels wide and dots 4 or 5 pixels diameter.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
No, sorry, you are assuming a whole bunch of stuff based on your own problems.

1) MAMEdev made Asteroids white. It's white on Windows, it's white on SDLMAME, and it's white on MAME OS X. There is nothing blue/green about it.

2) Vector MAME scales gorgeously to higher resolutions. I just ran it at 1600x1200 in SDLMAME with hardware blending/antialiasing and it's frankly breathtaking.

D
D
Please post a screenshot about the dots problem. It looks fine for me.

-Dave

O
OP Offline
O
Here is a screenshot of Asteroids Deluxe:

The color is 115,255,255 which is light cyan. With pink I marked the bullets. If the bullets move they are even harder to spot. They are smaller than the lines which are 2 pixels wide. This is a screenshot at 1400x1050 from the default settings by Mame OSX.

This is how it may look like IMO:

Looks like some kind of in-game menu setting is enabled. I'm with R. Belmont, out of the box Asteroids Deluxe will only show colours if you have the overlay enabled, so try trashing the .cfg file for it and start again.

Sean Aaron
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Ahh, yeah. I forgot, Deluxe does have the cyan overlay, so that's actually correct. (Real machines have cyan colored cellophane similar to the "colors" in Space Invaders).

O
OP Offline
O
Well thanks, that must be the reason for the Cyan. Now I only need a way to get bigger dots and stripes.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
For brighter vectors, the option in baseline and SDLMAME is the "-beam" switch. -beam 1.0 is standard, -beam 2.5 gives a nice overdriven look, and -beam 5.0 pretty much blows it out so far you lose focus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Dribin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Olivier Galibert), 56 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,837
Posts116,231
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020