Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Will SDLmame keep its name ? #41713 05/29/08 12:37 AM
D
Deleauvive Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi,

Thanks for providing us with SDLmame, the proud successor of xmame.
I usually use win32 ports of mame, and I am not very familiar with linux.

Correct me if I am wrong, from what I've understood, SDLmame needs the SDL libs to run, but is able to run games in OpenGL mode, nonetheless.

I think the name SDLmame is somehow misleading, I may suggest other names for it, if you consider my point. In the first place, I thought I had to learn a lot about SDL to be able to run it...

Also, as you may be the only maintainers of a working linux mame port, I think it would be nice if you clarified the status of advance mame. Again, I was fooled by the words, thinking that advance mame was a very mature project compared to xmame...

Finally, I think it would be great if we could find on your web site comparisons of the different front-ends. It can take some time to try the frontends you name, before finding the one we like most, so some words about their advantages and drawbacks would be appreciated. I hope I am not asking too much here...

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: Deleauvive] #41714 05/29/08 12:51 AM
mangamuscle Offline
It is kind of out of place to ask here about the status of advancemame, since AFAIK none of the people that worked on that project has worked on SDLmame.

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: mangamuscle] #41715 05/29/08 01:42 AM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
SDL encompasses all areas of operation for games and emulators: keyboards, mice, joypads, timing, audio output, and video output. It's basically what Windows users know as "DirectX" except that it's portable. Hopefully you now understand that SDL is still in major use even in OpenGL mode and renaming SDLMAME for that reason would be silly.

Being mislead by the name is your own problem. The homepage and the documentation hopefully make it very clear that if you can use the standard Windows version of MAME then you already know how to use SDLMAME. Unlike XMAME and AdvanceMAME I put some effort into keeping the command syntax, file structure, and ini files as compatible with Windows MAME as possible.

AdvanceMAME and XMAME are both formally dead. It's not clear that AdvanceMAME's features make sense anymore given the current design and direction of the MAME core, and XMAME would offer no advantages over SDLMAME along with significant maintainer disadvantages.

Frontends in my experience are very personal things - what's perfect for you is useless for me and mediocre for someone else. I believe all of the frontends offer screenshots so you can at least understand what you're getting into.

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: R. Belmont] #41716 05/29/08 02:57 PM
D
Deleauvive Offline OP
OP Offline
D
By proud successor, I meant proud follower. Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the effort involved in updating your version of xmame.

Although my interest in running mame from linux is still intact, I must confess I spent hours trying to run advance menu over advance mame. First, it compiled with framebuffer support, which it was unable to handle afterwards, then I had to indicate a path by hand.

The happy ending is that I learned a lot by going through this, and that by now, I don't have any other emulator to turn to than SDLmame...

As for terminology, still evocking my personal point of view, x is kind of tech oriented : It can be related to x11, multiplier, and, yes, *nix, when SDL can only be related to...SDL.

You're certainly aware of the difficulties to run native OpenGL applications in Windows Vista, so, for gamers used to Windows, and because of this parallel with DirectX, it may not be so obvious that SDLmame is OpenGL friendly.

Last but not least, I think it involves quite some luck to stumble upon a working frontend (not talking about design differences here), even by visiting each and every homepage. I read that QTmame was not maintained anymore, then I went to download KXmame, still pretty much in beta-state, now I am heading to XmameGUI.

Last edited by Deleauvive; 05/29/08 04:46 PM.
Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: Deleauvive] #41718 05/29/08 03:25 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Just to clarify, SDLMAME is not a version of XMAME and contains no XMAME code. It's a completely new port made with modern Unix desktops in mind. Part of why I can update it so fast (usually within 4 hours of a new Windows version) is that the code very closely tracks the Windows original, so in many cases the patches will just apply.

I don't know why SuSE doesn't include SDL. It's part of a standard install on Fedora and (K)Ubuntu (and I believe Debian as well).

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: R. Belmont] #41737 05/30/08 11:43 AM
D
Deleauvive Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi,

I wanted to solve this problem of getting a frontend to work for sdlmame, once and for all. So I spent quite some time gathering information on how to setup WahCade! correctly.

From what I've understood, it was developed under Gnome with Python & GTK+. For Fedora and Debian users, it seems a relatively easy task to gather the proper libs. However, the process of building this stuff from Suse, while running KDE seemed like an eternity to me, and clearing out the missing dependencies an endless struggle.

Anyway, I was wondering if you would allow me to post a tutorial right here on how to setup WahCade! on KDE. I only need a few days to arrange the instructions nicely.

Also, I simply acknowledged WahCade was running, then pressed "esc". I still need to install the "plugins" and configure the controls, but it should be a piece of cake compared to what I've just been through.

Again, I am an exhausted but happy retro-gamer, since I now know a bit more about the "bleeding-edge" in terms of interface widget building.

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: Deleauvive] #41742 05/30/08 10:17 PM
C
carrotroot Offline
C
Originally Posted By Deleauvive

Anyway, I was wondering if you would allow me to post a tutorial right here on how to setup WahCade! on KDE. I only need a few days to arrange the instructions nicely.

No.

Wah!Cade has their own forums, please post your instructions on their boards.

-carrotroot
Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: carrotroot] #41744 05/30/08 11:41 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, sorry. Frontends should be handled on their own forums. We only handle directly SDLMAME-related things here.

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: R. Belmont] #41749 05/31/08 08:51 AM
D
Deleauvive Offline OP
OP Offline
D
No problem. Except wahcade forums are rather empty, as of now.
Anyway, splitting the tutorial in two parts seems preferable.

First, setting up the GTK+/Python environment in KDE, which I will post on linuxquestions.org, then, if I can, a simple how-to dealing with WhaCade! itself, to be posted in God knows where forum. (Shall simply provide your readers with the links).

May I suggest you consider opening an entry for frontends in your forums ? After all, the two pieces of software are tightly interrelated, since one will probably look for a frontend the minute he gets SDLmame to work...

Re: Will SDLmame keep its name ? [Re: Deleauvive] #41754 05/31/08 01:04 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Installing GTK+ and Python are specific to your distribution, not to KDE. KDE is agnostic about what else is installed on your system, and indeed Fedora installs both KDE and GNOME/GTK+ out of the box so you're already set to compile anything. On SuSE I believe you use YaST or whatever it's called now to install additional packages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Justin), 47 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,083
Members4,915
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020