Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
I just recorded the intro sound from Jr. Pac-Man on my PAL machine (woodgrain 4 switch), and noticed the sound in MESS (a2600p driver tested) is unsigned compared to the sound recording from the Atari. The speed is also slightly faster in MESS - the song is around 4.25 seconds in MESS vs 4.33 on the real one.

One problem I have on my side is I have one Atari (a black model) which won't start up properly. Super Breakout starts, but the ball is on the screen when it shouldn't be and is not playable. Jr Pac doesn't boot at all and it just displays the colours and noise like when no cart is inserted. I have put up a video on YouTube for reference.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
"unsigned"?

M
M
Originally Posted By Heihachi_73
I have put up a video on YouTube for reference.

Holy crap, who put a car engine in that horse?

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
"unsigned"?

Sorry, my mistake. What I actually mean is it's a different waveform to what I recorded. I'm not an audiophile so I don't know the difference myself! It's actually signed not unsigned! As in, the sound starts on the middle part and goes higher whereas the recorded sound is floating in 'mid air' over the center. It might not be a bug, it could just be the recording that DScaler did, but AFAIK all recordings do this.

In an ASCII (actually ANSI) form of a square wave:

Code:
'''''' vs. '|___||___|'

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Oh. That's what us digital audio geekathons call a "DC offset" :-) (Specifically meaning that the center of the wave is offset from where it should be).

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/05/08 11:54 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Ah, thanks for that. I'm glad my crapscii art sort of worked!

I think I have the perfect new life for the 2600 now - The Conia M580 DVD player* fits just about perfectly, right down to the VFD which magically fits into the cartridge hole with almost no modification (the small cut-off from the VFD itself stops it from fitting, but the actual screen area fits perfectly).

It does require a bit of case destruction which some people might not like though. Mainly the AV parts at the back. I've got stuck on how to shoehorn the DVD drive in with the tray pointing out the left hand side. The hard part is getting the cover to fit without sticking up in the air! I haven't cut anything from the lower part of the case yet, but the underside of the top is now flat, the four 'walls' are gone.

* My test prototype (DVD player) is giving a 'no disc' error for everything so why not! It was less than a year old when it decided to crap itself last year (main PCB is dated week 43/06).

The Atari will need holes (12!) or a large rectangle cut into the back for the AV plugs, a hole in the top to the right of the cartridge slot for the remote receiver, and a small modification to fit the circular button panel, USB port and two mic/headphone jacks. The whole panel on the Atari can be removed, but it doesn't want to move possibly without breaking so it's staying there the whole time.

H
OP Offline
H
Update: The Sound seems to be the right tempo - tested MESS with the right version of the game this time - Jr Pac-Man PAL.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 13 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,085
Posts119,077
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com