Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
I
I have a Sharp Zaurus of the original, pre-Linux generation. It has a really strange (but inventive, in a very 90s way) OS and reportedly runs on a Sharp-specific CPU architecture.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
That seems odd - I'd assume it was some sort of ARM SoC like nearly every other PDA of that era.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
And don't forget fridges - we gotta have cold beer laugh

M
M
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
Emulating things with connectivity is also an excellent way to get the project sued out of existence. I'd avoid iPods until The Steve comes up with something better, and phones for current GSM/CDMA networks until those technologies are retired.

Which iPods though? Apple pretty quickly likes to regard iPods as obsolete and replace them with newer models... and quite a lot of suckers buy into the constant upgrades (on the other hand, I know someone who still has a second-generation iPod).

It's a fine line, considering that even iPod Video is considered obsolete and old by Apple.

I don't know what really would go into emulating an iPod... the hard disk's firmware is quite easy to copy (dd if=/dev/sdc of=file ...), but there's also a fail-safe firmware stored in ROM that might be difficult to dump, i don't know for sure.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'd draw the line in the vicinity of "does the current iTunes recognize it and sync to it". AFAIK all iPods ever made still work with current iTunes, and we'd need the boot ROMs anyway (disk images aren't sufficient).

R
Online Content
R
Originally Posted By robbbert

I think we could use GPU power to emulate an oven, just to have a nice pizza along the beers :D:D

Anyway, modern nVidia cards already draw up to two power connectors... ^___^

Originally Posted By robcfg
Originally Posted By robbbert

I think we could use GPU power to emulate an oven, just to have a nice pizza along the beers :D:D

Anyway, modern nVidia cards already draw up to two power connectors... ^___^

Hey What About VCRs, Beta, and.... OH, 8 track tape. grin

Edward Middleton Jr.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rik, 1 invisible), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com