Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
E
Not really interested to play games in it. To be honest, I prefer to use my real N64 to play. (Low-res, slowdowns and all.) But having an accurate emulator is essential to the preservation of the system as a whole.

M
M
not to mention the HLE stuff isn't worth crap if you actually want to make homebrew for the Nintendo 64...

H
H
Originally Posted By MooglyGuy
To be fair, I hope people continue to use emulators like Project 64 and 1964. 3D games running at 320x240 or (in rare cases) 640x480 almost unequivocally look like crap, and I have to hand it to HLE: While it's not "technically" accurate, it does make things a whole hell of a lot more fun.

That said, it would be a much better step to have decent graphics output without glitches caused by the hacks of such emulators. Once everything's ironed out, then people should start worrying on how to 'improve' the games, instead of making 1000 patches for 1000 different games. For me, as long as there is an N64 equivalent of pSX in the future it will be a great experience. For now though, it's the real N64, busted analog sticks and all, or MESS once things settle down.

I would generally use PJ64/1964, however the emphasis on graphics is what turned me off, much like ePSXe when pSX was first released. The major letdown of both xx64 and PSEmu based programs was the lack of a simple, fast graphics plugin which didn't attempt to enhance anything. Besides one or two on the PSX side being Kazzuya's and the EJ/EZ one, which both were preliminary, buggy and discontinued in the early 2000s, the former discontinued when PSEmu Pro was still the one and only PSX emulator besides $ware bleem! and VGS.

PSEmuPro-plugin based emulators have spuPEOpSSoft which is exactly what you were looking for. These plugins draw the image as the PSX would. The only thing they can do to enhance is adding dithering to any Gouraud-shaded polygon, even if the game doesn't request that.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Actually that plugin does not draw the image as the PSX would - it has no facility for mode switching to maintain the correct output resolution, among other things.

H
H
Spot on. PEOpS is AFAIK no different to the 'regular' Pete's software GPU plugins, but an open source model based on an extremely old version of the plugin, which is prior to having the high-res look that everyone's used to today. But, that should maybe live in a PSX emulator forum, or maybe the spiderwebbed ZiNc forum rather than Moogly's N64 WIP. smile

Update: I found the ancient site with the software plugin, and is found here. Small bug which causes Tekken 1 and 2 to hang/not work (save states generated with another plugin do work though for one stage/practice mode, looks as good as pSX but 'better' as there is no dithering).

Looks like there's another one I forgot. Dr. Hell of Xebra fame also made a PSEmu-compatible software plugin. Using GDI. *blink*

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (pmackinlay), 25 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,656
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com