Next Thread
Print Thread
No Sprite Limit? #46764 12/09/08 01:32 AM
S
starvenger Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone!

I believe I understand why the NES has 'sprite flicker' I believe it's a case of a sprite borrowing drawing power, or whatever you wanna call it from another sprite so instead of one of the two sprites being invisible, they both flicker.

I was also under the understanding that the 'No Sprite Limit' option, when enabled would bypass that limit and allow me to play games flicker free.

I cannot seem to get that feature working. I am on 1.4 and I've tried 3 or 4 video filters, and I've tried different games and different screen sizes and settings and I just can't get my games to work flicker free.

I did a search here to see if there was some simple thing I was missing, I didn't see anything. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, and woudl appreciate it if anyone could provide some information.

Thank you!

Re: No Sprite Limit? [Re: starvenger] #46765 12/09/08 08:22 AM
A
AWJ Offline
A
Many games deliberately only render certain sprites every alternate frame (several Konami games do this with bullets, for example) In this case, there's nothing you can do about it with emulator settings--the flicker is just the way the games were designed and programmed.

Re: No Sprite Limit? [Re: AWJ] #46769 12/09/08 03:45 PM
S
starvenger Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That's nice to know, thank you very much for the reply.

I'll try a some different games. I was specifically testing Tecmo Super Bowl and Bubble Bobble.

Re: No Sprite Limit? [Re: starvenger] #46799 12/10/08 07:58 PM
blargg Offline
That's why I call the option "reduce sprite flicker" in my NES emulator. Makes clear its purpose, and that it doesn't eliminate it.

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Heihachi_73), 125 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,694
Posts114,297
Members4,865
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019