C
Is NestoPia perfect?
None of Emus is perfect........
Why not update?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
NST is close enough to perfect that even small changes take long amounts of time. Also, it's GPL, so if you really demand updates we're waiting for your patches smile

K
K
Oh come on, demanding patches from end-users is downright rude and unrealistic. Most users of computer software don't know how to program, nor are familiar with OS APIs. Be fair to the guy.

Coolie, why don't you Email the Nestopia author and ask politely if a new version is in the works? His Email address is on the homepage.

Making life hard for others since 1977.
M
M
Originally Posted By koitsu
Oh come on, demanding patches from end-users is downright rude and unrealistic. Most users of computer software don't know how to program, nor are familiar with OS APIs.

Well then tough shit.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Demanding updates from free hobbyist projects is also downright rude and unrealistic. Now do we understand each other?

K
K
Apparently you folks don't know that I spent US$600/month (and have for the past 6 years) on providing free hosting for emulation-oriented and similar sites, and that I myself am an open-source contributor (FreeBSD Project).

None of this gives *me* the right to insult users of my software or efforts I put forth to help others.

Karma's a bitch -- remember, treat others how you wish to be treated.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
So you're saying users have the unlimited right to be rude to contributors to free hobbyist projects? Because one of the many minor miracles of MAME is that we rejected that reality long ago and substituted mutual respect.

K
K
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
So you're saying users have the unlimited right to be rude to contributors to free hobbyist projects? Because one of the many minor miracles of MAME is that we rejected that reality long ago and substituted mutual respect.

It isn't about who does or does not have rights -- people are going to do whatever they want regardless. I'm saying "it comes with the job".

It's important that people who release software into the public realm (whether it be open-source or closed-source) accept the reality that they now have to provide a certain degree of support to the rest of the world. If the author(s) doesn't/don't want that responsibility, then don't release the software publicly.

For example, there's a *lot* of software I've written over the years which I think the rest of the world could benefit from or would find useful, but I don't release it because I don't want the responsibilities associated with releasing something into the public realm. When it comes to the few programs and code I have released publicly, I go the extra mile to provide support for those things, despite the user having the ability to "fix it themselves". Why?

Because I believe open-source does not give software authors the right to say "its free, so the bugs are your problem". My code, my software, my bugs, my problem. I tend to think of software like a child -- it's something you helped create and raise, which makes it your responsibility for the rest of your life. You'll always be their parent.

It's cool if other software authors feel differently about the subject -- that's great -- but too many times have I seen the excuse given in the open-source world "you have the code, fix it yourself". It's such a pompous statement on so many levels that it upsets me -- and I AM someone who can possibly "fix it"!

S
S
I don't disagree with you but I can appreciate the fact that people whose free software emulates 8000 arcade games and run on all major operating systems (and then some) might see things in a different light.

I mean just look at the original poster's question. He's basically saying "your emulator is not perfect, you should update it and make it perfect". Well, duh. How would you respond to that?

How about seeing that type of post over and over again and again for the last 10 years?

(yes I know this is not the MAME forum)

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
there a huge difference between giving support and being asked about a new release because no emulator is perfect

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MAMEBase, Carbon), 12 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,935
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com