Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#50769 06/11/09 09:39 PM
T
OP Offline
T
just downloaded mess. installed it. loaded some genesis and nes software

plays genesis games just fine. great in fact

but for some reason the NES is represented by a tiny little red 'x' mark. the properties say that it is not working.

when i load a game, it gives me this friendly red box telling me that this game does not work properly, and mess promptly crashes.

am i going crazy?? how could the oldschool nintendo not be working? is there some ancient bios file or something i need to load?

T
OP Offline
T
... ok.

just trying to troubleshoot 'sall.

through my googling i've discovered that nes support may have been removed at one point. can anyone verify this?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
No, it wasn't removed, it was just broken. Stuff happens on a project this size with only half a dozen active devs.

T
OP Offline
T
whew. thanx. was curious.

great work though, for the most part. i look forward to being able to run most everything from one cozy place.

keep up the good work.

J
J
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
No, it wasn't removed, it was just broken. Stuff happens on a project this size with only half a dozen active devs.

Did r4890 & r4920 fix this?

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
no. they fixed smaller side-problems. the main problem probably needs a wider rewrite of the graphical emulation (which could allow to finally add MMC5 support)

not sure who will get the heavy task on his shoulders

J
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
No. There were some core mame changes to the PPU implementation which caused the MESS side to become broken.

It basically comes down to the PPU implementation handling the banking of additional video RAM/ROM. This works nicely in the mame drivers because they staticly define hardware. On the MESS side the video banking requirements can be different for each type of mapper. And thus a large number of mappers became broken.

Imo, the banking logic should not belong inside the PPU implementation but should be handled by the driver code. It's just a matter of finding the time to properly fix this.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
There's no IMO required - the real PPU does not handle banking, so the emulated one shouldn't either.

ETA: The PPU's a case where letting non-CPU DMA devices have their own memory map would IMO be huge. You could handle the various banking schemes with the already pretty mature functions that exist to do it for CPUs.

Last edited by R. Belmont; 06/12/09 12:51 PM.
J
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
J
I'd actually like to go further and update the PPU implementation to read the data from video rom/ram at the correct times in the correct order. That'd also remove the need for the irq callbacks in the code, since that is nothing than a trigger on one of the address lines.

Oh well, so many things to do, so little time...

T
OP Offline
T
...woah

this board is obviously not for the feint hearted

you guys are hardcore

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rik, 1 invisible), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,071
Posts118,945
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com