Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: Eugene.S] #57046 12/13/09 10:17 AM
E
Eugene.S Offline
E

Last edited by evgs1987; 12/13/09 11:23 AM.
Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: Eugene.S] #57074 12/13/09 08:38 PM
J
jmd Offline
J
Game: Don Doko Don 2 (Japan)
CRC: B04ECE9E

The game hangs up when you reach the first boss.

Screen:

regards!
jmd-

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: jmd] #57204 12/18/09 08:49 PM
T
TheTrout Offline
T
Not sure why, but the USA version "Adventures of Lolo" is booting to the grey screen with the crosshairs on my computer. The Europe version works fine, though. Do I just have a bum copy of the USA rom?

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: TheTrout] #61443 05/02/10 11:27 AM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
revamped this old thread to let people know about what is (slowly) going on

now, someone might say: these games have been working fine since forever, in MESS.

In fact, there are 2 brand new features documented in the screens above: we have some very preliminary code ready to allow loading from software lists in NES

and, something new for MESS (and partially new for the whole NES emulation since Pasofami), the same code allows for loading real dumps (i.e. with split PRG & CHR)

the code requires A LOT of work before it can be made available to public: e.g. the list contain less than 200 games, there is no current support for different mappers (the screens above were obtained by manually changing the mapper and by recompiling the source for each game), and the whole code should be rewritten so that softlist becomes the official way to load nes carts in MESS and iNES and UNIF files use its code, rather than the other way around like it currently is.

However, it is a first and long awaited step in the right direction and many thanks go to bootgod for the info he provided me. Expected time for public disclosure remains (hopefully) late spring - mid summer...

stay tuned wink

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: etabeta78] #62026 05/21/10 07:23 AM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
small progresses: thanks to the UNIF handling code, I needed only 2 lines of code to add the selection of the appropriate board for all the dumps verified by bootgod (and the nes.xml list I'm preparing already contains all these dumps, with separate prg/chr and correct board id)

now that the basic framework is ready, I can plan the attack to the two big remaining steps:
- adding all the other dumps to the list (with proper prg/chr but marked as baddumps until bootgod verifies them)
- refactoring the code so that (in a similar fashion to NEStopia) it is focused on emulating each board rather than iNES mapper

we're getting closer wink

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: etabeta78] #62442 06/03/10 08:39 PM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
another small update: the list is basically done and it now contains around 3500 different games, counting chinese/asian originals and pirates and multicarts; and more work on the actual emulation is in progress.

things are progressing slower than I hoped, though, and a lot of code has yet to be moved/refactored before the list can be added in the svn repository...

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: etabeta78] #62443 06/03/10 09:51 PM
M
mariuszw Offline
M
There are various problems with "Super Game III" (multigame NES based arcade game) I have added recently to MAME.

Snow Brothers are completely broken - some garbage is shown at the begining, then display turns to grey (regular NES version is broken in the same way in MESS - tested on 0.137).

"New Tetris" has some graphics problems.

What is interesting about this compilation, bootlegers added real continue feature to the games - after you lost all lives, you may buy next game with next credit.

Mariusz.

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, please) [Re: mariuszw] #62459 06/04/10 05:40 AM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
I plan to review Mapper 1 emulation soon (Snow Bros. J is Mapper 1, and some other Japanese game seems to suffer since my changes a few months ago, even if other games seemed to require them: I really have to investigate more in depth what is the real problem...)

Also, as soon as the MESS code is updated to use PCB-based handlers (instead of mapper-based ones), and current nes_ines.c and nes_unif.c are merged with the (soon-to-be-added) nes_pcb.c, I will move the NES code to MAME. This will allow to finally have a single implementation for NES/VSNES/PC10/MULTIGAME: much easier to fix issues at that point (e.g. RBI Baseball crash in debug builds) wink

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, plea [Re: mariuszw] #62589 06/07/10 11:00 AM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By mariuszw
Snow Brothers are completely broken - some garbage is shown at the begining, then display turns to grey (regular NES version is broken in the same way in MESS - tested on 0.137).

Snow Bros seems to have never worked in MESS. The problem might lie in any CPU/PPU memory handler (the mapper PRG/CHR banking emulation is very close to NEStopia, so I doubt is the culprit). Once implementations are unified, and MAME NES-based pcbs are converted to use the same code as MESS, I will try to find out where the issue arises from.

Thanks for the report, though. I didn't know this game had problems.

Re: NES driver revamped... (bug reports here, plea [Re: etabeta78] #62665 06/09/10 09:49 PM
etabeta78 Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
in other news, I implemented proper emulation of the CNROM boards with 'copy-protection' which gets associated to Mapper 185

Mighty Bomb Jack (Jpn)

Seicross (Jpn)

Bird Week (Jpn)

Spy vs. Spy (Jpn)

and Sansuu 1,2,3 Nen games (snaps from the first 2 carts)

The annoying thing is that these iNES files will require a crc hack to recover the correct pins configuration which select the CHR bank (OTOH softlists won't need it, since the pin settings will be stored in the xml itself) and I still haven't added it.

Still no luck, on implementing correct wram in Nobunaga's games, which still do not save to the battery... but I hope to make progresses soon: once the main Nintendo mappers are supported properly, I will release the xml list smile

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DarthMarino, pmackinlay), 106 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,751
Posts115,013
Members4,884
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020