Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 69 of 120 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 119 120
R
Very Senior Member
OP Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
IMO for standard non-protected disks there's no reason not to use existing formats like ADF. Protected commercial disks absolutely should be in DRAFT or a derivative low-level format and the disk emulation modified as necessary to cope with them.

Does anybody have a copy of Haze's patches to HazeMD that added CD-i? should be trivial enough to turn that software list into an xml.

Originally Posted By etabeta78
floppy lists are still under discussion, so please wait until Micko adds one of two working samples wink

EDIT: also, a couple of guidelines:
- put multi-disk games inside a single <software> entry of the list, as separate <part>s (this might change later, but it is the current plan). same goes for different sides of a tape

I agree that multi-tape or multi-disk games should have a separate part for each physical support, but different "sides" of the same support should be grouped together in a new, deeper level of the specification's hierarchy: aside from better documentation, the internal GUI could take advantage of this fact by implementing two different mechanisms to cycle between the images in opposition to "flip" the already mounted image.

JoJo
H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
they were converted with old versions of CHDMAN, as per RB's recommendations they should probably be reconverted rather than used as-is. Also, I didn't convert every version of every game nor digital video games etc. (seemed rather pointless given i already knew they wouldn't work)

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/misc/tinycdi_281009.zip

I thought I had a newer version posted than this, but, can't find it ATM, but seriously, it's worthless for creating the software lists due to format changes.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By etabeta78
Originally Posted By incog
I agree with the PD sets, demos, documentation disks and coverdisks too but how should we split? With the latest news coming from The Software Preservation Society should we start listing IPF or stick with ADF?

IPF is still closed source, so how would we test if MESS cannot support it?
if anything, I'd go with DRAFT, rather than IPF, but I'm not even sure the specs are finalized

hence, I think we should start with .adf

I'd include the IPFs etc. but put ADFs alongside them until somebody comes along to improve the emulation well enough to support the ADFs. Once the IPFs are supported the ADFs can be deprecated and removed if they _match_. For pirate versions there is little point in having anything better than ADFs, because they're unprotected, and along the same lines you won't find ADFs for protected original games because the format is incapable of supporting them.

While it might be a lot of work these databases will just have to evolve with time, like things in MAME do. It's more work right now because you're playing catch-up, and don't really have automated tools to deal with batch conversions or cross-format image comparisons.

Do the software lists have the capability to list additional files which aren't required for emulation, but are known useful references? It would probably be a good idea to CRC/MD5 the various manual scans etc. for reference, even if they're not required to run MESS. A lot of the Amiga/Speccy software is unusable without them, it's rather different to the arcade scene.

I agree with JoJo on the flipping of discs, this also elegantly solves a few other odd corner-cases, like the bizarre Xonox double ender carts (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...sa=N&tab=wi) and the easter egg in Karateka that displayed the game upside down if the disc was inserted the wrong way.

ASH Offline
so just to clarify something...

the soft list for floppy's and tapes...
will they auto load these files I.E. on the spectrum you select Manic Miner.tzx and M.E.S.S. will insert the tape : auto type LOAD "" [enter] : start tape

or will we still have to learn that bit?

ASH #63300 07/08/10 06:11 PM
H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By ASH
so just to clarify something...

the soft list for floppy's and tapes...
will they auto load these files I.E. on the spectrum you select Manic Miner.tzx and M.E.S.S. will insert the tape : auto type LOAD "" [enter] : start tape

or will we still have to learn that bit?

For now I believe you'll still have to learn that bit. I think it's important to get the lists implemented first, thoughts on any kind of scripted automation can come later, once things are more stable, and it will have to be done at a different level to standard inps which are too prone to breaking between versions.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
@JoJo and incog: probably you are right about the dual side media (like fds floppies and some tape): then we should use a single <part> and two separate <dataarea> one for side A and one for side B... Ideally, each <part> should represent a separate item (be it a cart, a disc or a cassette) and each <dataarea> should represent a separate component of that specific items (like different sides, or different chips inside the cart)... the dual interface cart example might or might not fit in this settings, it depends on what the system needs to identify which ends of the cart is connected...

@haze: you can list whatever you want in the xml lists as separate <part>s and clrmame will look for it inside the zip, while MESS will only look for whatever the loading routine requires.
I already used this for dipswitches inside NES carts, something which we cannot use right now, but that it was necessary to support (even if I used a <dataarea>, given that they're part of the cart and not a separate thing)

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
and yeah, I fear automated inputs will have to wait lists to stabilize a bit... I hope whoever hooks up the lists to the driver will post the correspondent instructions here in the forum or on the wiki smile

Page 69 of 120 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (pmackinlay), 25 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,132
Posts119,656
Members5,029
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com