Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Oh, and how do I make it remember my programmed Control Pad controls between sessions? Starting to get sick of having to reprogram the controls every time I boot it up!

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
MAME should automatically remember the controls assuming you set the config path to a folder you have write permissions for.

S
S
Another thing - I don't remember if M+GUI needs a mame.ini but if it does..

Open Terminal, navigate to your SDLMAME folder and run ./mame -cc

This will create a mame.ini with default settings for SDLMAME. You can hand-edit it in a text editor and set global configuration such as rendering engine and paths manually, if you need to. You can specify multiple paths for the same thing, separating them with a semicolon.

You should try running SDLMAME by itself (i mean without using M+GUI) to rule out any base configuration issues. Type ./mame galaga to run Galaga with default settings for example.

E
E
>it doesn't appear to believe that I have any ROMs available
M+GUI is a reimplementation of MAME32, so I assume everybody knows how to press F5

>How do I make sure that my general and game-specific controls are stored
a frontend has nothing to do with saving key settings. check the privilleges in $HOME/.mamepgui

MAME Plus Team
D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
>it doesn't appear to believe that I have any ROMs available
M+GUI is a reimplementation of MAME32, so I assume everybody knows how to press F5

Erm, as a newbie, I have no idea what MAME32 is/was... What does the F5 thing do?

I've resorted to trashing all of my mame folder apart from me ROMs... am starting from scratch again...

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
F5 rebuilds/refreshes the list of available ROMs. You must press it for MAME32/MAMEUI/M+GUI to show any ROMs as available.

M
M
Sorry I'm a little late to the thread, I've been a bit preoccupied (I knew there were a lot of Doctor Who episodes, but really... shocked )

It's been a while since I've had to do an initial setup of M+GUI, but let's see if I can help with some of the basics...

FWIW, this is how have *my* MAME setup, along with M+GUI. Your milage may vary.

In order to avoid accidentally deleting something I shouldn't, I keep all my ROM Sets, Sound Samples, Artwork, and other support files in a separate folder called 'MAME Support Files'. This folder is kept separate from my MAME folder, as well as the front ends I use (I use both M+GUI, and MAME_Tunes, as I'm still on 10.5.8).

I keep my M+GUI application in its own folder in the 'Applications' folder.

The contents of the 'M+GUI' folder are -

- M+GUI (the application)
- cfg, diff, ini, & nvram folders (this is just a default location for these folders)
- whatsnew.txt
- mame.ini

The 'mame.ini' file is important. This is the file that tells MAME where all your other support files are, as well as how to behave. M+GUI interacts with/edits this file for you when you make changes within M+GUI, but I can't remember if it will create the file for you or not.

Once you have files and folders arranged where you want them, run M+GUI. It should ask for MAME. Select your copy of MAME (You built one following my previous instructions. right?), and M+GUI will read in MAME's internal game list.

At this point, nothing is showing on your game list. This is because M+GUI dose not yet know where your ROMs folder is. Go to the 'Options' menu, and select 'Directories...'.

In the Directories window, select 'GUI' at the top, and 'MAME Paths' in the column on the left.

To the right, under 'Core Search Path', the first option is 'Romset Directory'. Click to the right of this item (under the 'value' column), and click on the '...'.

In the resulting window, click the 'Browse' button, and navigate to your 'ROMs' folder. Click 'OK'.

Click 'OK again, and look under the 'View' menu. Select 'Refresh' (or hit F5 on your keyboard). Watch the bottom of the window. See the progress bar? When it's done, you should see a list of games in the 'Available Arcades' section.

You should now be able to set the paths for your other support files. If you continue to have problems, please let us know.

(I'm going back to converting Doctor Who episodes for iTunes... grin )

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks, that was fantastic.

Well, managed to follow all your instructions but am still not seeing my files in "available" arcades. I even got rid of my old ROM collection and just downloaded SFiii - which is apparently a good Romset, according to audit - but despite the refresh function, it won't appear in my "available arcades"!!!

This couldn't be a 10.6 compatibility issue of some sort...? (Clutching at straws...)

Tony

PS - didn't think Dr. Who would make it Stateside!!!

M
M
Well, I don't think it's a 10.6.x issue (and for the record, I'm a little puzzled/annoyed that MAME_Tunes is still havinf issues with 10.6, but that's another topic...)

Let's do a bit of troubleshooting.

Obviously, sfiii is the game you're trying to run, so let's take a look at that.

Does the game (or anything, for that matter) show up in the 'Unavailable' list?

You've mentioned that sfiii audits good. How are you accomplishing this/coming to that conclusion?

Do you now have a 'mame.ini' file?

(As an aside, when David Tennant finished his run as the 10th Doctor, I went into Doctor Who withdrawal (I first encountered the Doctor during the Tom Baker years.) I've since decided to locate, convert from .avi to mp4, add metadata, import into iTunes, and watch all of Doctor Who from 1963 to present. I expect to be done sometime around 2011...)

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sfiii3an turns up in the "all arcades" and "unavailable arcades" lists; I've been using File/audit/audit all ROMs to do my auditing; and interestingly, I have two mame.ini files and one mame.ini folder.
One file is in my SDLMAME folder, one is in my M+GUI folder, and the ini folder is in M+GUI too. The "ini folders" from Options/GUI/MAME paths is set to that ini folder rather than either of the files. Inside the ini folder is another src folder.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (MrBogi), 17 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com