Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
What, do you have a folder named mame.ini?

The src folder is safe to delete unless you need the MAME source code for some reason. I don't know why there's a src folder inside your ini folder, or why you have more than one src folder. Just delete the src folders, they take up a lot of space and you don't need them if you just want to play games.

The "ini folder" path is for .ini files which stores MAME per-game settings.
mame.ini is MAME's global configuration file and it should reside in the same folder as your SDLMAME executable.

As you've been told more than once, you need to place the M+GUI executable in your SDLMAME folder, don't put it in its own folder.

M
M
Um, as far as I can tell, there's no reason to keep M+GUI in the same folder as the MAME executable (I don't, and it simply asks me for the path to MAME when I update from one version to the next. M+GUI is a separate application, and as such I keep it in it's own folder.).

Since the game is showing up in the 'Unavailable' list, let's try this -

- Click once on the game to select it.

- Right Click (or Option Click, if you're using a single button mouse) on the game to bring up a contextual menu, and select 'Audit' (This will audit the single game). What are the results?

We'll worry about multiple 'ini' files in a bit...

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
S
S
Originally Posted By MAMEBase
Um, as far as I can tell, there's no reason to keep M+GUI in the same folder as the MAME executable

"Um", except it would make whatever it is that's happening here easier to troubleshoot.

Good luck.

E
E
>I've been using File/Audit/Audit All ROMs to do my auditing
hey buddy, why dont you follow my suggestion and just try to press F5 or View/Refresh instead of auditing the roms?

MAME Plus Team
D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Emuman:

> hey buddy, why dont you follow my suggestion and just try to press F5 or View/Refresh instead of auditing the roms?

I did - hence

>"despite the refresh function, it won't appear in my "available arcades"!!!"

wink

Sune: I did have the M+GUI and MAME executables as in the same folder as suggested until yesterday when I deleted the whole lot and started again, so was doing exactly as you say. Deleting ancillary srcs as we speak, will report back shortly.

MAMEBase: Auditing the single game hasn't made a difference. It says the ROMset is good, but still won't list it as available, and in the "ROMs" column when I bring up sfiii in "all arcades", it says "No".

D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
So - multiple .ini-s

In my "Applications" folder, I currently have a folder called M+GUI and one called MAME.

M+GUI contains amongst other things the M+GUI "application" file, a file called mame.ini and another folder called ini, containing a folder called "source". Presuming that this ini folder is the folder where the per-game settings go.

MAME on the other hand now contains the M+GUI unix executable, the mame executable, and a mame.ini file.

So I have two mame.ini files, one ini folder in M+GUI and both my mame and M+ executables in the same place.

I think...

Really appreciate all the comments, btw - thanks all.

S
S
sfiii requires sf3000.chd to run, do you have it? The game will not show up in the gamelist if you don't have the .chd

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/set/sfiii

D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I got one of the "No CD" versions (sfiii3an) so I thought it shouldn't need the chd? The game does run if click on it from M+GUI, it's just listed as unavailable.

Also, I re-downloaded a few other ROMs - which definitely don't need CHDs - and they don't come up as available either!

Cheers!

S
S
Alright but sfiii3an will not show in the gamelist unless you have sfiii as well. I wasn't joking when I told you to read up on how MAME handles ROMs earlier.

You can use MAWS to quickly check these things:
http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/set/sfiii3an

D
DWTone Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Cheers. But shouldn't rtypeleo be enough on its own to show up?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 25 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,100
Posts119,241
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com