Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60044 03/12/10 10:07 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I've been using Nestopia for a while now with no problems, and recently upgraded my os to Windows 7. Now, Nestopia 1.40 does not save any of my data (inputs, window position and size, preferences, etc.) and continually crashes when I close it (I get a message that says Nestopia stopped responding, do I want to close it from Windows). Also, I have Nestopia 1.39 and while it also crashed when I close it, it has been saving my data. Has anyone else had this problem, and do you know any way to fix it?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Sounds like it's trying to save to a folder you don't have permissions for? That's usually the problem people have with Vista and 7 - they actually have security, and Windows didn't used to smile

M
M
Are you still having this problem? When you upgraded/reformated to Windows 7, did you start with a new Nestopia.xml file or use the existing one? Try deleting that file and start over.

A
Village Idiot
Village Idiot
A
jstewart99 i have the same problem, but with others softwares.
Nestopia run and save configuration normally.
Try not use Programs Files and Programs Files(x86).
Make a new folder C:\Games\Nestopia.

title Village Idiot is bug of bad understand,but was forgotten to fix it.
J
OP Offline
J
Hey guys, I am still having the crash problem, but got it to save my preferences (although I'm not quite sure how, I just kept opening and closing it and it finally saved). I did a reformat and install for windows 7, so the nestopia.xml file should have been new. I just tried reinstalling it in a new c:\games\nestopia folder but it didn't solve the problem. So I can still use Nestopia without any problems, but when I close the program, it crashes and then windows has to quit it for me.

C
C
I'm running Nestopia on Windows 7 x64 and have not encountered what you are describing. Windows automatically redirects any attempts by a program to write files under "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" to write under "C:\ProgramData" instead, so that legacy applications (such as Nestopia) won't have problems due to filesystem security/permissions. So I really doubt that file/folder permissions/security are the cause of your problem.

My PC
GA-X58A-UDR3
i7-920 @ 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4890
Win7 RTM x64
C
C
This sounds to me like it is more likely a faulty driver or piece of hardware than a bug in Nestopia. I've run Nestopia on several different Windows 7 systems (some x86, some x64) and have never encountered this problem.

What video card do you have? Do you have the latest drivers installed for it?

What motherboard do you have? Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers (e.g. Intel INF package) installed for it?

Have you scanned your RAM using memtest86+ to make sure all your RAM is good?

I suppose it might also be something specific about the way you are closing Nestopia. How exactly are you closing Nestopia? Are you using the "X" in the upper-right corner of the window, double-clicking the gamepad icon in the upper-left corner of the window, hitting ALT-F4, picking File->Exit from the menu, or are you right-clicking on Nestopia on the taskbar and choosing "Close window"? There are so many different ways and you need to be specific about which way you do it. Does it crash regardless of which way you close it, or only when you close it certain ways?

Also, when you close Nestopia, is Nestopia running windowed or full-screen?

My PC
GA-X58A-UDR3
i7-920 @ 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4890
Win7 RTM x64
C
C
Also, do you have the option enabled to confirm before exiting?

My PC
GA-X58A-UDR3
i7-920 @ 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4890
Win7 RTM x64

Moderated by  Marty, R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (r09), 35 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,836
Posts116,222
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020