Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
What ever happened to the project of creating an open platform for software list. Something similar to No-Intro's dat-o-matic: http://datomatic.no-intro.org/

Then give editing access only to dumpers who have proved their dumping capability (for example a dated pic of their copier and some carts).

If you do that I am confident that many dumpers will join and contribute their knowledge. Myself I will join and contribute my ~1200 super nes dumps and scans of their PCBs.

It's a much better system than having a few programmers without any real dumping expertise working in the shadows without really knowing what they're doing.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted By MESSfan

It's a much better system than having a few programmers without any real dumping expertise working in the shadows without really knowing what they're doing.

One thing that's clear from all the existing projects is that the dumpers are the ones who often really don't know what they're doing. My confidence in the console dumping scene is precisely 0. One of the things MESS will bring about is a place for real dumps to be documented, something which dumpers would have insisted on in the past if they had a higher level of integrity.

MESS is 'open', and anybody can contribute, as long as they provide sufficient evidence to back up their contributions. What MESS is *not* is a free-for-all of misinformation. If you can provide scans of things you've dumped that's obviously good and I'm sure genuine contributors will be granted access to SVN to add such details (but not to enforce their own 'no pirate dumps!!' style policies)

Now, if you could take your trolling elsewhere?

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
If you do that I am confident that many dumpers will join and contribute their knowledge. Myself I will join and contribute my ~1200 super nes dumps and scans of their PCBs.

I must have missed something... why can't dumpers send a diff with the corrections/new dumps and wait 1-2 days for a programmer to add the info to the software list?

I think for MAME this has worked definitely well in the past 10 years or so...

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Given that No-Intro currently has a known bad dump in their SNES list, I think they need to be doing something other than lecturing us.

J
J
Personally I think that dumping console carts by opening the cart and dumping each chip individually is a better way than using any console copier device.

R
OP Offline
R
Please I do not represent No-Intro Arbee smile

And Haze if you are so religious about how to dump, start by joining dumpers. I still haven't heard about your dumping performances.

I know at least a dozen of dumpers in my dumpers network who dump properly with all due documentation. You are just totally unaware of us.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
I know at least a dozen of dumpers in my dumpers network who dump properly with all due documentation. You are just totally unaware of us.

great! you're all welcome to send your diff to be included in MESS (Nintendo lists are already in judge's hand to be added as soon as he's satisfied with the list code)

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H

And Haze if you are so religious about how to dump, start by joining dumpers. I still haven't heard about your dumping performances.

I write the code, I don't mix with hardware, it usually ends up broke, my hands aren't steady enough, and I don't have the precision to do actual hardware work.

Furthermore I don't have the space, nor budget.

My time is best spent doing things I can do.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (MAMEBase), 65 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,879
Posts116,775
Members4,958
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com